cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Since this morning, I cannot open PTC Arbortext Advanced Print Publisher. License problem: The desired vendor daemon is down Requesting ArbotextAPPDesktop 7788@localhost: (-97) Rebooted computer a few times but to no avail. Anyone out there with a solut

jpotter
3-Visitor

Since this morning, I cannot open PTC Arbortext Advanced Print Publisher. License problem: The desired vendor daemon is down Requesting ArbotextAPPDesktop 7788@localhost: (-97) Rebooted computer a few times but to no avail. Anyone out there with a solut

Since this morning, I cannot open PTC Arbortext Advanced Print Publisher.

License problem: The desired vendor daemon is down Requesting ArbotextAPPDesktop 7788@localhost: (-97)   Rebooted computer a few times but to no avail.

Anyone out there with a solution please?

15 REPLIES 15

It sounds like you are meant to have the FlexNet Licensing Server running on your local machine, but it is not responding to APP's requests for a license. To start with, you have to check the Flexnet admin page. There is usually a link in your PTC "Start Menu" folder, or you can try http://localhost:8080 in your web browser. The default login is admin/admin. You will then be able to check if "ptc_d" is in fact running, or if not, why not.

Did you get your licensing issue resolved?

If not, perhaps you should open a case with PTC's Technical Support Group.

Please let us know how you resolved this issue.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:jpotter)

Try the following:

1. Restart license server (stop/start).

2. Send your issue to technical support by using PTC's "Case Logger": https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/case/case_logger.jsp

jpotter
3-Visitor

The desired vendor daemon is down Requesting ArbotextAPPDesktop 7788@localhost: (-97)

Further to my posting in April, and profuse apologies for not replying to the three posters, but the error report has appeared again.

In April the error report suddenly ceased displaying after a day or two and Arbortext APP was working again.

This time APP has been down for six days since July 29, coincidentally ever since I upgraded to Windows 10.

In answer to the three posters who supplied suggestions:

I have emailed PTC's Technical Support Group three days ago but they haven’t replied.

I cannot find a link in the PTC "Start Menu" folder, and I can’t open http://localhost:8080

I wouldn’t know how to restart the license server (stop/start).

I have stumbled across this though:

0:00:43 (ptc_d) Server started on localhost for:

0:00:43 (lmgrd) ptc_d using TCP-port 49916

8:15:49 (lmgrd) TIMESTAMP 7/30/2016

TIMESTAMP 7/30/2016

8:15:49 (ptc_d) Lost connection to lmgrd, heartbeat timeout expired, exiting.

8:15:49 (ptc_d) EXITING DUE TO SIGNAL 28 Exit reason 5

8:15:54 (lmgrd) ptc_d exited with status 28 (Communications error)

8:15:54 (lmgrd) Since this is an unknown status, license server

8:15:54 (lmgrd) manager (lmgrd) will attempt to re-start the vendor daemon.

8:15:54 (lmgrd) REStarted ptc_d (pid 9620)

8:15:55 (ptc_d) FLEXnet Licensing version v11.10.0.0 build 95001 x64_n6

8:15:56 (ptc_d) Server started on localhost for:ArbortextAPPDesktop

8:15:56 (ptc_d) EXTERNAL FILTERS are OFF

8:15:56 (lmgrd) ptc_d using TCP-port 50909

12:06:48 (ptc_d) Lost connection to lmgrd, heartbeat timeout expired, exiting.

12:06:48 (ptc_d) EXITING DUE TO SIGNAL 28 Exit reason 5

12:06:53 (lmgrd) ptc_d exited with status 28 (Communications error)

12:06:53 (lmgrd) Since this is an unknown status, license server

12:06:53 (lmgrd) manager (lmgrd) will attempt to re-start the vendor daemon.

12:06:53 (lmgrd) REStarted ptc_d (pid 6856)

12:06:54 (ptc_d) FLEXnet Licensing version v11.10.0.0 build 95001 x64_n6

12:06:54 (ptc_d) Server started on localhost for:ArbortextAPPDesktop

12:06:54 (ptc_d) EXTERNAL FILTERS are OFF

12:06:54 (lmgrd) ptc_d using TCP-port 61118

Would anyone know how I can fix my problem?

John Potter, Oundle, U.K.

Hey John,

Much of how to triage the issue depends on the version of Flex you are using. Do you typically access the Flex screens via a web page or an installed application?

It sounds like you typically access via a web page, but there should still be an app installed that may allow you to stop/start the server. Go to

%INSTALL-LOCATION%\flexnet\x86e_win64\obj and run lmtools.exe. This will open an application where you can perform actions on the Flex server side of things.

In the first tab, you should see a name of a server. It can vary, but it will be something like "Flex Server for PTC." Select it. Next, go to Stop/Start/Reread tab. Click Stop Server and then click Start Server.

This should restart the Flex server. Try to open APP again.

If this doesn't work, I would recommend changing to a different version of Flex. I run 10.8.10 x64 and it is fairly stable. There are newer versions, too.

Hope that helps!

Sorry Jeff, thank you for your detailed answer, but I’m a bit of a novice at ArbortextAPP and I cannot understand how to go to:

%INSTALL-LOCATION%\flexnet\x86e_win64\obj

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hi John,

The path to "lmtools.exe" application that you need to run should look like this (in the case if you are installing the license manager by default):

Pic_1.png

Thank you VladimirN for your response. I am progressing slowly and I have attached screen shot of my File Explorer

Capture.PNG

jpotter
3-Visitor

I meant to say in my reply, that I do not know how to proceed from here.  

John Potter, Oundle,  U.K.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Can you run search for "lmtools" on your "C:\" drive?

I've searched lmtools and come up with the following

lmtools.PNG

I clicked on lmtools.exe and followed the instructions by Jeff Stevenson. I stopped and started the server. And it worked.

After 10 days I can now get back to work compiling train timetables.

Thank you so much to  Gareth Oakes, Tim Phelps, VladimirN and Jeff Stevenson. Thanks for your patience.

If any of you chaps would like a European Rail Timetable just email me on john.potter@europeanrailtimetable.eu

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

John,

I am glad that you were able to solve your problem.

Glad you're up and running!

Glad to hear it, John! Flexnet can be a little finicky at times.

One thought. If this persists as a problem in the future you do have the option of switching your APP license from "concurrent" to "node locked". This will mean the license is tied to your machine, instead of being checked out from the licensing server every time you start APP. You would have to work with PTC or a PTC Reseller to figure out if this scenario suits you and how to proceed.

The screenshot is showing the installation package. That's not where Flex is installed on your system. If you used the defaults, Flex should be installed at C:\Program Files\flexnet.

Top Tags