cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

TOC in Editor

acoosemans
12-Amethyst

TOC in Editor

Would it be possible to generate a toc in the Editor?

We're using Styler to generate the ToC inside the pdf. We are also using Styler to increase the author's user experience in the Editor. On the Editor side, the toc feature doesn't generate anything. Perhaps there's a workaround with generated text (maybe a source edit?)?

We're on Arbortext 8.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

I was making it too complicated. It turned out that I had wrong references in the ToC definition because we convert our DTD before publishing/styling. I was in the wrong assumption that editor didn't support the generation of a ToC. Redefining the ToC for the editor did the trick. Editor does support the generation of a ToC.

Thanks @ajayakumar for suggesting a very easy fix. It wasn't the problem, but it made me reconsider the solution could be very easy.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

It's not quite clear to me what you're trying to achieve but it is very common to create the ToC in the PDF and not elsewhere. The reason is that if users adjust the content of the document then you want the ToC to automatically reflect any heading or structural updates. If the ToC was in the Editor view, then users can mess with it or get confused that they have to manually maintain it? If you wanted to create the ToC in the Editor view then you have a couple of options. One is to use the screen FOSI to create a read-only view of the ToC, the second way is to use an ACL script or some code to create ToC content in the document.

ajayakumar
6-Contributor
(To:acoosemans)

May be your styles are restricted with "Print/PDF" in "outputs to edit" field, it display the generated (TOC) text only in PDF. May be try changing that field value to "Base (All outputs)".

ajayakumar_0-1643871863117.png

Thanks,

Kumar

Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

I was making it too complicated. It turned out that I had wrong references in the ToC definition because we convert our DTD before publishing/styling. I was in the wrong assumption that editor didn't support the generation of a ToC. Redefining the ToC for the editor did the trick. Editor does support the generation of a ToC.

Thanks @ajayakumar for suggesting a very easy fix. It wasn't the problem, but it made me reconsider the solution could be very easy.

Top Tags