cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Understanding Bursting File(.bcf)

hmungekar
1-Newbie

Understanding Bursting File(.bcf)

Hi Experts,

I am finding it difficult to configure bursting files. Any change made to the .bcf are not reflected the CMS.

I am trying to burst my bookmap document into chapters when they are stored in Windchill, but I am not able to do so.

Please help me understand how this burst configuration concept works.

I have created a new bursting folder and added it to the system variable as APTOBJCFG.

I am uploading the .bcf files I am using.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Glad you got it to burst at the chapter.

Looking at your bcf, you have a leading "/". This isn't necessary because the adapter will look within the current context where the user is signed into. It is a relative path to the root folder of the product or library. So, if your context is a library named "Arbortext_Test", then your location would simply be Arbortext_Test/topics.

Further, I didn't see any namerule or typerule definitions. If you don't have any subtypes, then typerule isn't necessary, but I would assume you would want to control the name of the bursted content with namerules.

Hope that helps!

-Jeff

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Have you configured a burst log? This will help triage issues with burst configuration.

Set a Windows env. variable called APTBURSTLOG to a location you can access. It must be a fully qualified path with a filename (i.e. C:\burst.log).

There are other log files you can set, too, but this is a good one to start.

Set the burst log and run the job again. Post back the log results if you still have trouble.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

This are my burst logs

What version of Arbortext are you running? It should tell you which config files are being used.

Arbortext 6.1 M060

I'm running M050 and I get more info than that. Did you close Arbortext when you assigned the burst log? It should write to the log file when it loads the doctype when a file is opened in Arbortext.

Yes.I have restarted windchill also still the same result in burst.log file.

You might check with PTC support as to why you aren't getting more from the burst log.

I took a look at your burst config.

I don't see any elements defined in the boundaryspec section of the bcf. This is where the adapter looks to definitions about breaking an XML file into "chunks." Ideally, there should be corresponding namerule, locnrule, and typerules for each boundaryspec.

You would need an element definition in the boundaryspec for chapter...

<element name="chapter" objecttype="xinclude"/>

And make namrule, locnrules, etc. to correspond. Burst config rules are documented in the Arbortext Content Management Guide found on PTC support site.

Ok I will log a case and see what happens next.

Thanks Jeff for your quick response.

HI Jeff Stevenson‌,

I was able to burst my bookmap into chapters after adding the chapter element in the boundryspec as you said, but I am still not able to store the chapters in a preferred location . I have attached bcf files and the burst logs. Please help me to solve this problem .

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Glad you got it to burst at the chapter.

Looking at your bcf, you have a leading "/". This isn't necessary because the adapter will look within the current context where the user is signed into. It is a relative path to the root folder of the product or library. So, if your context is a library named "Arbortext_Test", then your location would simply be Arbortext_Test/topics.

Further, I didn't see any namerule or typerule definitions. If you don't have any subtypes, then typerule isn't necessary, but I would assume you would want to control the name of the bursted content with namerules.

Hope that helps!

-Jeff

Thanks buddy. Now everything is working as per the requirement. Ya I need namerules I will define it now.

Thank You Jeff

If you haven't already, I would download the Arbortext Content Management Guide found on PTC support site. The burst config properties are well documented and can guide you through most bursting requirements.

-Jeff

Top Tags