I recently submitted my Arbortext Editor file to our stylesheet guru (as I don't have the software to run the stylesheet.) He's made some changes, but now when I open the file, I am getting several error messages stating "unknown element in start tag". This is for over 30 elements that should be standard (docwp, wpno, alist ...etc.) How do I resolve? Sorry if this is a basic question - very new to this software. Thanks!
Have you checked that the stylesheet validates in an XML editor? Did anyone edit the stylesheet in a text editor or copy/paste code into source code edits?
I would look at the stylesheet code in a text editor and look for anything that seems irregular. Sounds to me like something was pasted in or a piece of code was entered directly rather than through Styler.
Sorry, I assumed that since you sent to your stylesheet guru that you were making stylesheet changes.
Does it tell you which tag is having the problem? You should be able to click on the message and Editor will jump to that position.
A bit confusing, I know.
I have an external vendor who uses the sgml file I am generating via Arbortext editor and associates it with a stylesheet. He creates a PDF and returns the sgml file (text), which I open in Arbortext Editor and continue to edit, as we get new information and change requests from the government customer. He doesn't use Arbortext Editor so can't answer my questions.
Since I dont have access to the stylesheet, I use the default for editing. Would you be willing to look at my default stylesheet and see if there is anything you view as unusual?
As far as the errors - i have about 30 tags that are showing up as unknown elements. Until I can correct the errors, I can't continue to edit in AE.
From your original post, it looks like the file was working before and is now giving errors after changes were made.
Do you know the nature of the changes? Were they to the SGML itself? Can you provide a screen capture of the messages that Editor is generating?
You have an SGML file that you sent to an external resource. He changed the SGML and created at PDF and sent you back the now edited SGML file and the PDF?
To me, it sounds like he used an editor that doesn't actually preserve the SGML and introduced a lot of stuff that Arbortext, looking for pure SGML, doesn't understand. You might ask your external resource what he used to edit the original file that you sent to him.
Let us know what you find out.
Ok.. Here's something to test:
Open the file in Notepad or Notepad++ or TextPad.
See if any of the angle brackets have been turned into their xml-friendly equivalents (e.g., "<" to "<")
Check, also, the Doctype declaration at the top. Open a file that you know is OK and do a visual compare. Sounds to me as if there's something wrong with the document somewhere..
Hi - thanks for keeping tabs on this one. I have a temp employee coming in on Tuesday of next week to support this project and she has a more in depth understanding of Arbortext. I am going to have her follow up on Liz' suggestions and see if that helps us out. If not - I will have her post further inquiries to this forum/discussion thread.
Thanks again and have a great weekend!
I was able to remap the DTD and get a better file to display in Arbortext Editor, with no 'unknown element' parsing errors, upon opening the file.
I then tried to turn the context rules back on, but I am getting an error message stating the following:
[A11118] Document "XXXX.sgm": Turning context rules on would cause <para0> to be out of context. Context rules are still off.
Any suggestions? Thank you.
You need to find the offending <para0> that is out of context and correct the markup until it is correct (according to the DTD).
Sounds like your external resource did not validate the file before returning it to you. I might send it back and ask your external resource to fix the file or at least make sure that the validation is a requirement for future work.
I agree with Liz. When you get that error, you should get jumped to the relevant para0, but then you need to open up the Document Type Viewer, and determine if the para0 is in the wrong place, or if the preceding element is, etc. And there may be more afte you fix that first one. They should be able to return a contextually accurate document if all they are doing is adding a stylesheet association. If they are modifying more than that without Editor, or another XML editor, then this is likely to happen for every document.