We get unlink errors fairly frequently also and are not using a Novell network. The file being edited is on the local C drive although it is copied there from another location before launching ArborText. The only connection with the network is that the Doctype directory is located on a network drive. I reported the problem to ArborText also but didn't get a real solution. We have found that 90% of the time the problem occurred after someone had made edits, then printed the file, and then tried to save. We added a warning to the print menu to save before printing and this has helped. Also just knowing that this was the cause has made people more careful about saving before printing. If anyone else has any suggestions, let us know. It is really inconvenient because we have to reboot to delete the original file. We can not rename the files because we are working with another program that expects the name to be the same at the end of editing. Here is the information I got from Arbortext. It does seem like we have network issues involved here, so I included some information regarding the "unlink" error when printing or working with networked files. Users have at times reported the following message on save: couldn't unlink document [full-path/filename] Permission denied. Document not saved.
This has been seen on a 3.1 system running Novell netware where the source files were always up on the network. It was also seen in another environment on an NT 4.0 network with Adept Editor used in conjunction with Texcel's Information Manager. Note that "Save As" still worked, while "Save" did not. It reported that this also happened with AUTOSAVE, with a number of these error messages will appear on the screen, with some scratch files generated by Adept*Editor filling the user's working directory. Not all machines showed this problem, but in one case 10% of the networked PCs had this problem. Since this message is tied to network issues, it might be that a user site doesn't have permission to delete "old" files. What is happening technically is the