cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

What is a .dcf file and how do you edit it?

jcordero
1-Newbie

What is a .dcf file and how do you edit it?

I've been asked to create and configure a template for a new document and I don't know where to start. I'm navigating through the DOCTYPES directory for some guidance.

I tried to take some of the training online but my request must have been lost in the shuffle. Anyway, training or not, I need to do this and this file appears to be necessary for my new dtd but I don't know why.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Joseph,

A DCF file is a Doctype Configuration File. It is a config file for an individual "doctype" within the doctypes folder in Arbortext custom folders. It specifiies things like tags for bolds, italic, and grapics. It specifies a table model. You can also configure what shows in the New Dialog in Editor for that doctype.

There are a host of options that can be configured in the dsf file and they are very useful. You can edit them directly in Arbortext Editor or in a text editor of your choice if you're careful. If you browse through the documenation on PTC support site, there is a Document Types Guide that defines the many options in a dcf pretty well.

Hope that helps!

I'm not sure what version of Arbortext you are working with, but here is a link to the latest DCF guide from PTC support.

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/157541/en/doctype_guide.pdf

This is exactly the sort of guide that I've been looking for. Thank you!! I'm using Arbortext 5.3 but we also have 6 but have not implemented it yet. I'll go through your posted URL to see if there are other documents that will benefit me.

Top Tags