cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Where are file locks held

rpaisley
1-Newbie

Where are file locks held

Fellow Adepters:
I am maintaining a configuration using AE 5.3 M010 (yes it's getting aged) where each author has a locally licensed copy of the AE application on their PC. The SGML files that are being edited are located on a separate Unix server. The users also share a common custom directory structure on the Unix server and it works quite nicely most of the time.

We are starting to see some file locking issues and for the life of me I cannot understand how AE is maintaining the lock status when two individuals, from their separate PCs, are trying to open the same file. The application does indeed flag the second user when the file is already being open, however I am seeing occasional cases where the file is being flagged as open when no one else has a copy opened.

How and where does AE maintain the file open status? The older, simple, method just left a LCK breadcrumb in the document's directory but no more.

Robert Paisley, MSCS, MSSE
Northrop-Grumman

Probably nothing in the world arouses more false hopes
Than the first four hours of a diet."--Samuel Beckett

1 REPLY 1

Have you by any chance upgraded to Windows 7 recently? Windows 7 is a more tightly-controlled OS in regards to permissions, security, admin privileges, etc. I don't have a good answer to your question, but perhaps it is related to Windows 7 and Samba and network permissions, etc.

Top Tags