cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Where did the docs go?

ptc-953343
1-Newbie

Where did the docs go?

I was just checking my 5.4 installation tree (now under PTC instead
of Arbortext) and I noticed that the docs directory is no longer
there and there is only one MS help file? Looks like maybe the
install options have changed or maybe these are no longer shipped?
Mainly I ws trying to find the release notes and can't find anything
at the top or in a top level directory. I'm now on the support site
for the release notes, but I'm surprised this isn't part of the install tree.

..dan
10 REPLIES 10

Dan,

Look in Help->Manuals. The release notes are under Administration,
Arbortext Editor,..., Release Notes.

Mike

I, too, found the lack of a docs directory frustrating. I don't necessarily read the PDF manuals on the same machines where I install Arbortext.

Navigate to the following directory (assuming a standard Arbortext 5.4 installation):

C:\Program Files\ptc\Arbortext Editor\hc\project\WEB-INF\volume

In this directory you'll see these files: EN_US.zip and base.zip.

Make a new directory somewhere outside the Program Files directory tree and copy the EN_US.zip and base.zip files to this new directory. Unzip both files in place inside this directory.

You'll then have all the PDF and HTML of the various manuals. The PDF files will be in a directory named manuals.

Have fun!

Thanks,

Tony

--
Tony Morales
Information Tools Architect
Oracle Corporation

At 07:49 PM 1/20/2010, you wrote:
>Look in Help->Manuals. The release notes are under Administration,
>Arbortext Editor,..., Release Notes.

Nothing there, I have the single file help.chm. I'm wondering if the
"Typical installation" no longer includes the docs? I've got to go
back in and check the installation process as I was surprised that
one the moved the old docs directory but also that I couldn't find
anything - I know I didn't delete them.

..dan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Vint

Panoramic Photography

Dan,

This is using the Help menu inside Editor. You can also get at the same
information, Start->Programs->PTC->Arbortext Help Center 5.4

Mike

yeah that is the help Center content. You can set that stuff up to be
read as help center and get the advantage of a search engine.

"C:\Program Files\PTC\Arbortext Editor\5.4\bin\jre\bin\javaw.exe"
-jar "C:\Program Files\PTC\Arbortext Editor\5.4\hc\consumerui.jar"

This is the default configuration on that, I think changing the paths
accordingly to where ever you want the content will work for your purpose.

..dan

That's all I have in my 5.4 installation tree in the help directory. Just a help.chm file. No "manuals" subfolder or any other subfolders and no other files.

Dan,

Ran into the same thing.

Either from the support web site or help center, eventually I viewed each PDF and saved them all to their own directory under My Documents.

Makes using the PDF search all files in a directory function very useful now that I have them all in one place, but was annoying to have to go get the docs, especially when I didn't know where they were yet.

John T. Jarrett CDT
Tech Writer II, Tech Pubs, ILS,Land & Armaments/Global Tactical Systems

T832.673.2147 ext 1147 | M 512.736.7031 | -
BAE Systems, 5000 I-10 West, Sealy, Texas USA 77474
www.baesystems.com

Could they be part of the consolidated help center PTC introduced a couple of years ago? I was looking for something in the help that used to be there, but recall getting a note it was in the help center.

Lynn

---- "Jarrett wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Ran into the same thing.
>
> Either from the support web site or help center, eventually I viewed each PDF and saved them all to their own directory under My Documents.
>
> Makes using the PDF search all files in a directory function very useful now that I have them all in one place, but was annoying to have to go get the docs, especially when I didn't know where they were yet.
>
> John T. Jarrett CDT
> Tech Writer II, Tech Pubs, ILS,Land & Armaments/Global Tactical Systems
>
> T832.673.2147 ext 1147 | M 512.736.7031 | -
> BAE Systems, 5000 I-10 West, Sealy, Texas USA 77474
> www.baesystems.com
>
>
>

Yes, the PDF's are now packaged inside the Help Center jar files.

FWIW, the Help Center search function searches the PDF files as well as the HTML content. By default, search will report hits in any document type, but you can use the Advanced options to limit it to just PDF files, or just HTML, or just JavaDoc. You can also limit by product (Editor vs. Styler vs. PE vs...) or by user role (Admin, Developer, User).

Help Center is a departure from the old style help we know so well from previous versions, but once you get used to it, it's really pretty cool.

Oh, and if you're wondering where the ACL documentation went: it's no longer in the Authoring section like it used to be--they finally moved it into the Programming section. 🙂

--Clay

I realized that Help Center was there. They finally have made a link that allows you to launch it separate from the Editor so you can do a document review, but I didn't expect the original docs directory to have disappeared and more specifically I was looking for release notes or a read me which is typical of other software. I don't know that I would have found the release notes in Help Center without Mike's notes, but I did know that the release notes were easy to find on the website. This was just one of those changes that took an old timer by surprise when the software wasn't configured the same. So can someone explain why we now have Help Center but there is still a MS help file? Shouldn't all that content be included in Help Center? ..dan --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Danny Vint Specializing in Panoramic Images
Announcements

Top Tags