cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

construction lines of CGM files appears in PDF with Adobe Reader 9

ptc-1548727
1-Newbie

construction lines of CGM files appears in PDF with Adobe Reader 9

Hello,

Did anybody meet the problem of unexpected lines visible in CGM figures inseted in SGML files and printed in PDF files using EPIC 5.2 and Adobe PDF printer ?

Adobe PDF printer 7 or 9 give the same bad result in Reader 9.

I will try 5.3 and 5.4(if downloadable) this afternoon...

Yves DENIARD
Systèmes d'Information Logistique
MBDA France
1, avenue Réaumur
92358 le Plessis-Robinson CEDEX
tél. : 01.71.54.27.39
mail : yves.deniard@mbda-systems.com <">mailto:yves.deniard@mbda.fr>

3 REPLIES 3

Is it possible that the lines are actually there in the files? I know that the default installation of the Adobe PDF printer with Acrobat is to use 1200 dpi resolution. This is way more resolution than anyone can see. Perhaps if you changed your preferences on the Adobe PDF printer to 600 dpi, it would help. Just a shot in the dark.

Does "printed" mean the same thing as "composed"? I have seen some stray liners that were caused by Acrobat, but there is more than one way to "Print" a pdf. You might specify how you are creating your problem file. Here are the methods I have used (and possible related results):

File->"Print Composed", Adobe PDFWriter, No hyperlinks, strange non-searchable fonts (ligature problem), intermittently tending to print all fonts as courier, all graphics appear to be jagged spider web (low-res mess) (Haven't see this for a long, long time as we trained everyone not to print using PDFWriter) (and I think PDFWriter is not part of the Acrobat distribution anymore).

File->"Print Composed", Adobe PDF = No hyperlinks or bookmarks in the PDF, fonts are not consistent/reliable; embeds strange fonts but not common fonts; some graphics print strangely. The graphics were all cgm, but the symptoms were not primarily stray lines. Wide white margin on one edge was common.

File-Compose PDF (use distiller=on") = Bookmarks and hyperlinks present in PDF, fonts and ligatures consistent, stray lines in Acrobat 7 distiller. I sent these graphics to be analyzed by our illustrations department and they determined that the stray lines were actually present in the cgm file as "invisible projections" where the author had used some other tool (I think it was iso draw) to mask part of an ellipse to make it look like a curve (but not on every problem stray-line graphic). They could not determine the root cause, but recommended opening a case with Adobe. We found that creating the PDFs as a lower version PDF version 1.3, Acrobat 4.x) solved the distiller problem in most cases. Haven't seen this since we upgraded everyone to Acrobat Std 9 or Acrobat Pro 9. For some reason the default joboptions file changes sometimes and then we have to run Distiller to set it back to the pdf version settings that we want.

File Compose PDF (use distiller="off" (Arbortext Direct PDF)). I have never used this as the word on Adepters is that Direct PDF output is different than Acrobat Distiller which is our company standard. I just never needed extra problems.

If you specify your printing method, it prevent people like me from chiming in with unrelated solutions.

I hope this helps,
Andy
\ / Andy Esslinger LM Aero Tech Order Data
_____-/\-_____ (817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd, Mail Zone 4285
\_\/_/ (817) 777-3047 Fort Worth, TX 76108

Thanks for your help. Reducing resolution to 300dpi gives a better result but some lines remain. We modify illustrations to transform Bezier curves to polygone to resolve the pb remaining in some illustrations.

Yves DENIARD
Systèmes d'Information Logistique
MBDA France
1, avenue Réaumur
92358 le Plessis-Robinson CEDEX
tél. : 01.71.54.27.39
mail : yves.deniard@mbda-systems.com <">mailto:yves.deniard@mbda.fr>
Top Tags