cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

custom numbers in TOCs

JeffStevenson
2-Guest

custom numbers in TOCs

Hey folks,

I'm trying to assign the number field to an attribute in Styler, but the number is not coming out on the page in the number field. It's coming out prior to the label and I'm still getting the page number from the PDF. I've attached a screen cap of the configuration in Styler.

Here is what I think I should be output.

Introduction.............................%@my_attr value%

Instead, I get this...

%@my_attr value%Introduction..............%pgnum%

Has anyone seen this before or is there a problem with my configuration?

Thanks,

-Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jeff--

I know just what you mean about the customer. OTOH, sometimes, if you present them with "I can do it this way for $YYY, or I can implement this alternative for $x", they will decide the cheaper alternative is good enough. It will vary depending on the specific customer and the specific requirement, of course.

The number field is there for division numbering, e.g. "Chapter 1: Introduction" or "Section 1.4.2: The Second Subsection of the Fourth Section".

--C

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Jeff--

When I look at your configuration screenshot, the output you are getting is just what I would expect. It looks like you are trying to replace the page number in the TOC with your attribute value. That's going to be a tricky thing to try to implement, and will probably require source edits, maybe hairy ones depending on which engine you are using.

Do you really want the target label in the TOC to show as something different from the folio (page number) shown on the target page itself? Could you live with something like this instead:

Introduction [%my_attr_value%].........................%pgnum%

That would be much easier to configure.

--Clay

Hi Clay,

As you know, it's not what I can live with, but the customer

APP is the engine and I thought source edits would probably end up the way to go.

If the Number field is not for page number, then what is it for?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Hi Jeff--

I know just what you mean about the customer. OTOH, sometimes, if you present them with "I can do it this way for $YYY, or I can implement this alternative for $x", they will decide the cheaper alternative is good enough. It will vary depending on the specific customer and the specific requirement, of course.

The number field is there for division numbering, e.g. "Chapter 1: Introduction" or "Section 1.4.2: The Second Subsection of the Fourth Section".

--C

Top Tags