cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

numbers and bullets greyed out

TrevorN
5-Regular Member

numbers and bullets greyed out

I have two questions about adding generated text numbering to documents.

1.) What is causing the ability to add numbering to an element to be turned off?

2.) How to I continue a numbering scheme so that it runs through two different elements (paragraphs and titles)?

I'm in the process of converting FOSI files for different document types into Stylesheets. The FOSI supports numbering in the different section titles. When I open the Generated Text category for a title in my converted Stylesheet has Numbers and bullets greyed out, so I cannot add numbering schemes to the titles. Some of the titles that I can add inside of a section allow numbering, but that numbering doesn't follow the order of the numbering added to the paragraphs before and after the title element, so I'll have paragraphs 1, 2, 3 and then title 1 and then paragraphs 4, 5, 6, etc.

I've been able to add the numbering schemes to elements that wrap the title and the paragraph to get the numbering to work. However, doing it that way fouls up the formatting for my warnings, cautions, and effectivity elements. I end up having to change the spacing on paragraph and title elements to -12 to make them line up with the number in the wrapper element, and also, my warnings and other elements that are placed inside the wrapper but before the paragraph/title elements and now inside the numbering.

4 REPLIES 4

The correct way is to set the Styler stylesheet up with Document->Division->Title "styles". These styles are set at the Element level, for example <doc> = "Document", <sec> = "Division" and <title> = "Title". Once you do that then the numbering is meant to be fairly automated. The numbering options will be greyed out for invalid options such as a style that doesn't support numbering or an element that has multiple contexts (in that case you have to set numbering on each context).

You can take manual control over some things by using "Block" and "Inline" styles - these are the base types that the others are built from, and you can avoid the automated helper functionality by using those base types.

In your example it is hard to know exactly what is going on but try making a very basic stylesheet first, as a throwaway, in order to figure out how the system works.

For continued numbering of paragraphs you should be able to do this if you set your <para> tag to be "Paragraph" or "Block" style and then enabled the Number feature under Generated Text. In the dialog box, selected your styling options and then click the Restart button. Select the "(No restart)" option, or select a different scope that you wish to use to restart the numbering.

Hope that helps.

TrevorN
5-Regular Member
(To:GarethOakes)

Hello Gareth,

I went back and changed my title style to block. In a style sheet for a smaller document that has fewer elements to style. That fixed my numbering problem. I was able to add numbering that continued as intended through the different sections and the document as a whole. I started making the same changes to another stylesheet for a similar document, but now I noticed that since I changed the title to block style, I'm unable to add a repeating title for tables that break across pages. Our FOSIs support the numbering that I need for titles as well as repeating table titles. Is there anyway to get both in a stylesheet? It would be nice if you could add contexts to titles with different base styles. I need titles with block styling in most instances, but I still need title styling for a few.

You should be able to get this working but it may take a bit of fiddling. You might need to set the element(s) as Title style then modify the numbering behaviour only for those contexts that need it. Here at GPSL we do this sort of thing all the time and have technicians who can assist with anything Arbortext.

TrevorN
5-Regular Member
(To:GarethOakes)

Hello Gareth,

It would be nice to bring in some outside help. Unfortunately, covid wiped out any budget for that kind of expenditure, so I have to figure things out on my own.

Top Tags