cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

update a illustration with a place 3d-file

ptc-2033176
1-Newbie

update a illustration with a place 3d-file

In IsoDraw an illustration can be updated with a new 3D-CAD-file. If I update the placed 3D-file, all of the transformations and rotations will be erased, so I have to start to illustrate again. Has anyone a solution or the same problem? (IsoDraw V. 7.0 M030) Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

We are having the same problem IsoDraw V. 7.0 with varying results. First, we realize that by placing the file, we are unable to modify features (nothing can be cleaned up, detail such as tangent lines cannot be reduced, nor can line thicknesses be altered.) This is unfortunate, but we're willing to live with that drawback in exchange for automatic model updates. Second, our department is using PDM Windchill Version 9. Until IsoDraw can access PDM, we have to initially export the ProE file as an IGS file. We placed a test model and exploded parts per our typical standard. We then tried a couple tests to see if updates would be successful: Test #1 - feature in model is modified (example, we added a hole through the surface of one of the parts) Result: A series of things happened. First, the location of exploded parts were randomly impacted (in our example, the location of two parts swapped and were shown with incorrect installation positions.) Second, we removed the feature and saved to 3D model. This resulted in everything returning to the correct exploded locations. Third, we added the feature again, and everything updated correctly. Further testing had the same unpredicatable results...sometimes it updated correctly, other times not. Test #2 - part is added (example, we added an additional screw) Result: All parts previously exploded return to the original assembled state. In summary, we are finding the following to be true: 1. Inconsistent results with generating model updates if part features are modified (sometimes works fine, sometimes randomly reassigns locations of exploded parts). 2. All parts reassemble if one or more parts added. 3. Since editing breaks the link to the IGS file, nothing can be cleaned up, detail cannot be reduced, nor can line thicknesses be altered. I have heard that some companies use low resolution models as their source data. Would this be beneficial for translating data? Could it be that by using the high resolution models, we are asking IsoDraw to work with too much information, so exploded parts are just reassembled again? Has anyone had similar problems and found a solution? Thanks for any information!

Hi, in general IsoDraw does not restore the positions of the parts when they can not be identified as the ones used before. I recommend that you file a support case and submit samples that it can be checked what is going on with the files. Also please try the latest maintenance release. One question: Why is it necessary to export the Pro/E data as IGES when no PDM is available? regards, Christian

"Christian Schmaehl" wrote:

Hi, in general IsoDraw does not restore the positions of the parts when they can not be identified as the ones used before. I recommend that you file a support case and submit samples that it can be checked what is going on with the files. Also please try the latest maintenance release. One question: Why is it necessary to export the Pro/E data as IGES when no PDM is available? regards, Christian

Jeff, usually the placed data is updated without being moved even when it was manipulated. A check on the CAD side could maybe give more clearance why this happens. In general the part moves, when it was deleted in CAD and there replaced with a new identical part. IsoDraw then assumes this part is new and displays it at the initial position. Regarding teh PDM system you can download the Pro/E files without a PDM connection to the workspace and open it manually from there as far as I know. Yu can use the call logger in the support area of the PTC website: https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/call_logger/call_logger.jsp As samples I recommend a small before and after CAD file that explains your issue. regards, Christian

Installing Maintenance update M050 corrected some issues we were having. We were able to see updates occur to our exploded IsoDraw files when changes were made to the placed model (for example, when additional hardware is added or a part feature was changed.) Initially, parts remained as anticipated in their exploded positions. However, after a number of tests, we changed the view to the 3D Transformation window so we could manipulate part locations and found that the location of parts in the IsoDraw file had became randomly assembled. Also, the projection perspective was completely rotated. This appeared to be irrecoverable as our data was so altered that it would take longer to reorient and reposition everything than it would to start from scratch. This may be a unique problem for us since IsoDraw cannot communicate with PDM to allow access to native ProE data at this time, so we are forced to create a stp file. What workflows are others using? Is anyone having similar issues? Thanks!

Jeff, why don't you just download the Pro/E files to your local harddrive and open them from there? I don't understand this stp conversion within this context. Can you please post details? Thank you, Christian

Hello, We are unable to open ProE files in IsoDraw since we upgraded to Wildfire 4.0. An error message is displayed: "Error during reading of file <filename>" Thanks!

Jeff, thanks for the info. So let's wait for IsoDraw 7.1. I still recommend to submit samples and a brief description to support for a check. regards, Christian
Top Tags