cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

20 Years in the Making, Creo!

JoeMcBurnie
1-Newbie

20 Years in the Making, Creo!

Many of the people following the Creo launch will be from the CAD community that is very familiar with modeling paradigms that are feature tree based. They will all, if they are honest with themselves be familiar with all of the inherent problems around this approach such as large assembly handling, the ability to easily modify your own existing designs and even more troublesome the ability to modify other peoples designs from the same package or from a 3rd party 3D application.

I am from a CoCreate background and have been in the technology for over 20 years although I am very familiar with the other CAD offering on the market as you would expect after 20 years in the industry and having been directly involved with a number of the other modellers over the years. If anyone is in any doubt that Creo is possible should not be! The introduction of the CoCreate technology to the PTC solution suite is the key to addressing most of the issues around CAD. The CoCreate technology is robust and mature and has always in my opinion been ahead of it time. The application use model changes that we have all seen in the product demonstrations for the Creo launch are very credible.

What I find most exciting of all is that I am familiar with this technology and can confirm that it’s real. This is not some Marketing smoke and mirrors, this is technology that already exists and is firmly in the hands of PTC. This is not a PTC marketing dream, it’s a reality. Yes it will take time to continue the development objectives but from the first release customers will start to benefit from changes in CAD that have not been seen in years.

If you consider the investment the customers have made in CAD over the years the main investment has not been in the software but in the data they have created with that software in building their product portfolio of engineering intellectual property. The Common Data Model (CDM) combined with the ability to import and work on any 3rd party 3D data means that companies who are ready for change are no longer faced with the issue of losing their previous investments. You no longer have to imagine a system that provides the power of parametric and freedom of direct modeling in a single data model, it,s here, it,s Creo!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Joe,

thanks for your positive comments. As you know, we both have a long history with direct modeling approaches and CoCreate - I'm now in my 22nd year!

As most of PTC's executive and marketing management team have a background in Mechanical Engineering, we do tend to avoid 'smoke and mirrors', although anyone watching the Creo virtual event will see, we're not afraid of taking a fresh new approach.

As you point out, PTC has a unique set of proven techhologies, products, and people, that are fundamental to the realization of Creo. And for many companies, it's defintely worth evaluating today's products, including Creo Elements/Direct to see if they can't take their first major step on the path to Creo.

Thanks again Joe for your support.

While I can attest to the positive attributes of cocreate, I would recommend PTC proceed with caution as they deploy explicit modeling to pro/e users. Having spent most of my time with Pro/E and solidworks, I have to tell you that I was shocked when I experienced my first "corrupt" part in cocreate. And corrupt workplanes. I conceed that in my 14 months with cocreate I've only witnessed about 5 or 6 incidents of corrupt parts....but that is 5 or 6 times more than what pro/e users experience in the same timeframe.

pro/e users are going to sour on the technology pretty quickly if they start experiencing corrupt parts - mostly because this just doesn't happen in pro/e. Also, there is the problem of bringing in geometry and ending up with "face parts". Cocreate users know what that is.ugh. better change that 1X10-6 accuracy and cross your fingers

Also, I can agree that cocreate provides very good large assembly performance, but only up to a point. It performs "better" because it doesn't have parametric assembly relationships defined. I can concede that if a change to a "large assy" is localized in one spot and doesn't result in complex redefinition of impacted children...then cocreate wins that round. But what if you want a change to a single part to automatically impact and cascade through the large assy globally? You would have to set up the parametric relations in cocreate, negating the performance benefit (possibly). Also, setting up parametric relations in cocreate is possible, but not straightforward vs. pro/e...

HI Barry, its good to get a response thank you. I understand all of the points you have raised, you are obviously an experienced user of several systems. In my opinion there are no solutions on the market that are perfect and they all have problems of one sort or another. It is possible to create data badly in all the systems. I think the important point with Creo is that it will provide the right tools (apps) to the right people at the right time. The Product lifecycle involves many users with many different requirements and skill sets.

I think the AnyData, AnyRole, AnyMode options will work very well. Taking the best from both modeling camps Parametric & Direct, combine that with the data translation, visualisation and PLM technologies within the current PTC suite and the Creo offering is “in my opinion” what the market needs and is ready for.

Let me do what I want, when I want, the way I want to do it. Software vendors should provide world class technologies packaged in a way that do not dictate the way we should work. Regards, Joe

Top Tags