cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Aligning holes

ptc-4585134
1-Newbie

Aligning holes

I have a question about aligning holes in an assembly. I have 2 parts that need to bolt together. One has a threaded hole that will accept a bolt (part #1). The second needs a countersunk socket head cap screw hole (part #2). I added the hole in the assembly but the hole doesn't show up when I look at the .prt file on part #2. I was able to align the bolt in the assembly. I tried to add the hole to part #2 first and thought I could then align it in the assembly. No luck. Can anyone offer some insight?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If I understood correctly, you have one hole in one part and added countersink through assembly hole into second part, right?

By default you won't see it in part, because it's an assembly feature and it exists on assembly level (think of it as hole drilled during assembling real components to properly fit them together). You can go into options of assembly hole (Edit Definition > Intersect) and turn off Automatic Update and then you can set display level from Top Level to Part Level and it will copy hole geometry into part. Downside is, it's not recognized as typical hole feature and there are problems with using such hole for Pin constraints, for example.

You shold be able to put both parts together into assembly and then activate second part and create coaxial hole using axis from first component. If you can't select axis from second assembly component, check assembly settings for external references - for this operation it should be set to "all" (it's config.pro option "default_ext_ref_scope").

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

If I understood correctly, you have one hole in one part and added countersink through assembly hole into second part, right?

By default you won't see it in part, because it's an assembly feature and it exists on assembly level (think of it as hole drilled during assembling real components to properly fit them together). You can go into options of assembly hole (Edit Definition > Intersect) and turn off Automatic Update and then you can set display level from Top Level to Part Level and it will copy hole geometry into part. Downside is, it's not recognized as typical hole feature and there are problems with using such hole for Pin constraints, for example.

You shold be able to put both parts together into assembly and then activate second part and create coaxial hole using axis from first component. If you can't select axis from second assembly component, check assembly settings for external references - for this operation it should be set to "all" (it's config.pro option "default_ext_ref_scope").

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to do!

Top Tags