cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Are high-end graphics cards for animation?

ThomasPhore
3-Visitor

Are high-end graphics cards for animation?

I have an assembly with thousands of parts and a lot of surface-modeled shapes and generally quite complex geometry. I have tried running it on both a Quadro FX1800 and a Quadro FX580 and found the performance to be identical for what I do. I just create parts and put them together into assemblies that I can drag around to see how everything moves. Then I render things in an external rendering application.

No matter how fast I try to move around parts in the mechanisms (using the hand/drag components tool in assembly mode), I never see any kind of lag or slowness or whatever have you, except in wireframe mode (wireframe mode is almost unusable with both of them -- they are both dreadfully laggy and movement takes several seconds per frame with equal speed on both cards).

Can anyone tell me what exactly more expensive video cards do better? The $150 card performs the same as a card several times its price in what I do. I know there is a good reason why people get the more expensive cards. I am just curious what it is. Is it animation? Things like virtual reality?

I know the higher end cards have better accuracy and things like that. I'm just curious what other things they are valuable for. What things I might be able to really easily see the differences between video cards in while running Pro/E.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags