cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

As stored drawings while everything else is latest?

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

As stored drawings while everything else is latest?

We are using "latest" for creating viewables within Windchill of EPDMdocuments.  Is there a way to have CREO drawings use "as stored" instead?  This is needed so that we have a static drawing of the changes.  We went to latest along with positioning and extended positioning assemblies so that we could update items for the manufacturing floor without redoing every assembly a part was used in.  We are on CREO 3, Windchill 10.2 m030 and CREO 3 m032 viz adapters.

8 REPLIES 8

I was thinking about this very thing a few days ago.  I do not have WC so it is a much bigger deal.

The only thing I could come up with is to save the entire environment from day one of your project (yes, it is huge) including all the incremental saves.

In this instance, I should be able to remove all files with a date greater than the file I am interested in.  If all goes well, the drawing should open the same as the day I made it.

This has been a desire for a long time.  Every CAD system has a different way to manage it.  Short of "exploding" the view to the drawing face or saving complete datasets for every drawing, there are not a lot of options.  Somehow, I think the above manual date method could become a pretty nice product if it knew how to manage revision control of haphazard file collections.  However, if I threw an entire folder to be managed by a "folder overlay" that does a rudimentary version control, this could be done.  Software development and circuit board development has already incorporated this in their abilities.  That is why suspect Windchill has something similar.  But for us lowly core Creo users, it is a problem.

My way of dealing with it is strict revision control.  No guarantee the previous version will pull up correctly, but I have a PDF that is static and down-rev files are of little interest.

‌We have latest on assembly and as stored on drawing being processed thru the same workers.  So it is possible. Pretty sure it is configured in the wvs properties.

REmote login to in to our computers was disabled before Christmas so won't be able to see until the new year

Are you using Windchill, Bill?

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

‌yes, successfully doing this in 10.1 and 10.2.

Brian,

I didn't find anything in the WVS properties.  This is what our system looks like from the job monitor and the representation table.  (make sure we are on the same page and this thread allows for me to add pictures)  Notice how we have the config spec set to as stored...and then for positioning assembly, the representation/annotation table in Windchill notes it as "latest".  We publish on Checkin...so theoretically on a standard publish the as stored would be the same as latest.  (We do not do any republish on assemblies when lower lever components change...we depend on positioning assembly for this functionality)

Standard Assembly Publish

standard-1.JPG 

Positioning Assembly Publish

standard.JPG

Drawing Publish

drawing.JPG

Bill,

I am following you.  It looks as if you are set to As Stored but Positioning Assemblies probably override that setting by default.  We do use Positioning, Extended Positioning Assemblies and normal Assemblies.  However, we do republish on lower level changes since there is a mixture of assembly types to keep them all updated for the MFG floor as they become available at Released.  So if we make a change to a sheet metal part, we don't want to go back and revise all the assemblies it is used in to show the changes.

With Extended Positioning Assemblies, the subassemblies do not update if they are flexible.  What I find interesting is that you have an assembly feature and it allowed you to publish the Positioning Assembly.  When I was testing, that would fail and not create the viewable.

So I need to figure out a way to get drawings to be As Stored and for them to not be updated when changes happen at the part or assembly level.  I'm hoping that this will not require code to do.

The structure tab has the capability to create a tree based on Latest, as stored or latest released...sure seems that you should be able to get the publisher workspace to collect per this config spec and publish per object type.  Also, you may be able to accomplish what you want by config spec load of the positioning assembly.  There is also the option to create "swim lanes" for the WC workers.  You could have all parts and assemblies go to one worker with it's config settings and then send all drawings to another worker. I've seen this approach at PTC live...but we haven't done it yet!

In regards to the assembly feature note...I think this is a bug in our system.  The assembly only contains a skeleton part, datums and other parts/assemblies.

Capture.JPG

cspinelli
13-Aquamarine
(To:BillRyan)

hello Bill,

i have attended to your webinar about Positioning Assembly, kudos to you!

however i'm stuck with one problem: i have a top assembly in PA, 2 subassembly in PA and another 3 sub-subassembly in PA.

i cannot show latest configuration of top assembly if i checkin sub-subassemblies.

can you help me?

thanks

Top Tags