cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Assemblies losing links to files

BrandonCroft
1-Newbie

Assemblies losing links to files

First off, we have only been using ProE for about a month and are still trying to work out all the issues. Every time I open my assembly files, the components are missing. I have already changed my working directory thinking it would fix the problem, but it didn't. Why is ProE not recognizing the files?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

If the components don't reside in the same location as the assembly files Pro will not find them without having a search path defined

What is a search path and how do I define/create one? Do I have to do this for every assembly I make?

From inside Pro/E go to "HELP, HELP CENTER". Do a search for "search path" this will bring up the instructions on setting it up. As to wether you will need it for every assembly or not, that depends on how you are storing your data.

This is bogus. I tried a couple of things. First I created the search path at the top-most folder in our directory, which includes all the sub folders underneath it and our parts are in the sub-folders. That didn't work. Then I created search paths for every part down to the exact location of the part, and then it worked. That is ridiculous! We have thousands of parts and hundreds of folders along with thousands of sub-folders. Is this the only way to do it? Am I really going to have to create a search path going to each and every folder that has parts?

Unfortunately that is the only method that I know of. Maybe there is someone else out there that will chime in with another solution. I am going with the assumption that you are not using any data management tools. That maybe one option to resolve the issues that you are encountering, although a complicated and expensive one.

Thanks for your help. We have Windchill but lack the SQL servers required to run it. Maybe someday...

Thanks again for answering my question!

Top Tags