cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Assembly Level Cuts - Good or Bad?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Assembly Level Cuts - Good or Bad?

I would like to get feedback from the community on the use of assembly level cuts. Maybe the pros and cons, the hidden dangers, etc. I have been trained from one perspective, but I am interested in hearing the opinions of others. Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

You should make this a poll. My opinion is that there are few benefits to assembly cuts. They have their use but do so sparingly as they usually have unintended consequences down the road and create undesireable relationships that cloud design intent and clutter data management.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:neomechanikos)

As requested, here is the poll:

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:TomU)

I prefer to have the model follow the expected life of various components. For those components that require match-machining, assembly cuts are a good representation and accurately record what passes for design intent.

I don't recall any particular problems past the first version they were introduced in (Rev 15??) but I think they are prone to the same sort of failures that other features are - e.g. badly chosen references are more likely because there are so many more to choose from in assemblies.

Top Tags