cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Assembly Regeneration. When? Why?

ptc-321702
1-Newbie

Assembly Regeneration. When? Why?

Assembly regeneration is important to make sure that all the geometry is up to date. Engineers are noticing that the entire assembly regenerates when you add any component. Patterning a component does not force the regeneration of the assembly. Is there a way to find out the reason(s) for the regeneration and change this behavior? The assemblies often have thousands of components; this causes a long waiting time for adding even very simple components.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Maybe this will help, I use WF-3. Under edit on the top tool bar there is a custom regenerate option, you can pick a part(s) that you want to skip regenerating, I've never used it, might be what you are looking for.

good luck

Some 'bot' in here changed my name back, O-well I'll just leave it. My computer is doing all kinds of crazy things

Richard, thanks for your response!

My goal is to try and figure out how to keep our engineers working on large assemblies and not having to wait for models to regenerate that they do not need to see or update (at least at the moment). When calling up a large assembly, it typically regenerates right away. Clicking on the stop light may be the answer to stop the regeneration. Then maybe I can get to the custom regeneration function. I'm also experimenting with the dm_upload_objects option.

When activating very large assemblies, users get frustrated in waiting a long time for the assembly to come up. When they see the memory getting close to the limit of the RAM they have on their computers, the typical response is to kill the xtop.exe process to purposely crash out of the Wildfire application. Often, if they try to bring up the same assembly again, it comes up much faster. You can't argue with success, but this just does not make any sense!

If there are problems or unexplainable issues that happen, please let me know so that I can pass it on to warn the users.

Top Tags