cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Assembly Relationships / Size Problem

ptc-1787684
1-Newbie

Assembly Relationships / Size Problem

Hey, I'm modelling some furniture in ProE. Most of the furniture use the same parts, so each assembly just assembles them in different ways, or alters the size of the parts. Say I have a 600mm piece of furniture and a 650mm piece, where the horizontal parts are different lengths. These lengths would be dictated by relationships that call to the parameter FULL_WIDTH defined in the assembly. The problem is I now want to create an assembly to fix together a run of furniture. This means my furniture pieces become sub-assemblies within another assembly. If I import a 600mm unit and a 650mm unit, the shared horizontal parts will just conform to one of the sizes either 600 or 650, rather than modelling each sub-assembly independently. Is there a way to get around this? I now you can use Flexibility, however it would mean defining size for a lot of parts! Can you tell ProE to independently calculate each imported assembly so that shared parts can have different sizes, or are stored as seperate parts in memory? I hope this makes sense! Thanks for your time, Kind Regards, Scott
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Lots of ways to do these sorts of things. I suggest you look into Pro/PROGRAM. It's pretty easy, and once you get things set up you can define all your variable configurations by answering simple prompts like "Length of back strut?" Help files aren't super; quickest way to see the possibilities is with the appropriate training course.

Hey David, thanks for your responce. Is this within ProEngineer? Tools > Program? I realise my original post was a bit long winded. To try and clarify more concisely: If two sub-assemblies within my assemby share the same part file then the part dimension such as d08 would apply to both sub-assemblies. Meaning if one sub-assembly says make d08 = 640 and the second imported assembly says make d08 = 840 it will then apply the second rule to the other previously imported sub-assemblies also. I want ProE to calculate d08 independently for each sub-assembly (as if I were just opening that assembly alone). Kind Regards, Scott

Scott, Yes, Tools/Program OR Family Table. Here's the thing: you can't really have the SAME sub-assembly exist with two different dimensions. You have to somehow create separate variations of the sub-assembly or component. Then you call for two or more of the different variations within your higher level assembly. Maybe Family Table functionality will be your easiest way to do this. You create a Family Table of the sub-assembly with separte columns for d08, etc., then call in various instances when you assemble it into the upper level assembly. Pro/Program, which is too involved to quickly describe in this forum, may give you more flexibility and the opportunity to quickly create new and previously unspecified variations by answering simple prompts. If you haven't yet done a Family Table, I suggest starting there. David

Scott, as David said you cannot have variations with the same name. A component e.g. xy.prt only once exists in memory, it always has the same session id, regardless how many of them are in the assembly. If you choose family tables you will need a table for your piece and family tables for its varying components. In your piece table you name the correct instance of the component used(instead 0f Y/N). But you could save a copy of your piece and give a new names to its components which will be modified and assemble it in your top assembly. If you have drawings with the same name as the components ProE can create the new drawings for you. As you will need new names for modified parts anyway the only downside to family tables is the need for more space on your HD. Reinhard
Top Tags