cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Assembly Rounds

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Assembly Rounds

Greetings,

Creo 3.0. I am creating square cuts in assembly. The actual machining will occur at this level.

I also would like to add radii to in the square corners, as well as on one side of the squares profile perimeter.

Round is available in assemble. Not greyed out. However, when I select round and try to select edges to round I can't pick anything.

I take it I can't do what'd I'd like with rounds in assembly?

Yes i can add the corner rounds to my sketch. But the perimeter rounds I would not be able to do?

Thanks,

WayneF

9 REPLIES 9
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:wfalco)

Yes, that is how it is.  You can probably add rounds and chamfers to assembly level surface/quilt features though.

This has been a longtime limitation that doesn't make a lot of sense. 

There was another recent discussion about this.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Figured. ThanksTom.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

An assembly feature cannot add material to a part.

If you have a square pocket, you can radius the top edges (remove material) but you cannot radius the floor edges or the corners (add material).

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:BenLoosli)

Yeah, it's been some time since I've had to consider it. Thanks Ben. 

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

The philosophy is that these features represent operations done on an assembly.  You do not add material to an assembly, you remove through drilling, machining, etc.  That's the logic behind not allowing adding material.

You can define the cut made using surfaces and then use that surface to cut the parts.  So, extrude your rectangle as a surface (with ends, if desired), add your rounds to the surface quilt then use it to cut the parts.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

This is a very similar problem to sheet metal. 

You make the part and the generic default is an unbent part.

Here, making next level fabrication changes to your part, you can play a limited number of tricks to make sure the default is always the master which is my goal.

You can use simplified reps or family table components for the interim states.

For those of us who abhor surfaces in assemblies (for detailing purposes), we are pretty much stuck making tough choices.  Symbolic threads are finally managed (although still somewhat bothersome) by wholesale hiding of the feature(s) per drawing view.

Another big area where this is a problem is seam welds and ground corners.  I've gone so far as to model the weld solid and adding it to the next level (two states on the same drawing).

All this means is that you really need a process for managing your desired workflow in CAD and on the shop floor.  Poor decisions here can make a lot of engineers and drafters quite unhappy.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

This what I did..........................works for me..............

On a side note....I used sweep for perimeter round. I had to use a curve feature to get into sketch mode. I tried selecting lines and arcs and it just did not let me into sketch mode. Even tho it was not greyed out. I have not used sweep to often in Creo. Seems different than Wildfire.

assy-features.PNG

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

True, the sweep alternative works. 

It does not negate the previous post about "not being able to add material". 

Notice that the sweep can only remove material.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Agreed.

Just a "round" about way to get a "round" my problem. Moohahhah.

But I appreciate everyone letting me know I hit a wall.

I have known of this in the past. Maybe I was optimistic it had changed?

Really a Radius is a removal - depending on the radius. Definitely a catch 22.

Top Tags