cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Assembly cut and Family Tables

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Assembly cut and Family Tables

I always have lots of fun with family tables ( ). I have any assembly cut of a tube that has holes stamped in the tube. There are two standard lengths of tube with two different numbers of holes (hence the family table).

Now I am performing a cut on one end of the tube. I have offset a plate (Bottom) from a plane on the assembly (Top). I am then using this plane to set up a cut to remove material from the assembly. The problem I am experiencing is that the cut dosn't always happen and I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why. The assembly cut is made on the generic of the family table. One instance comes out correctly (first picture).

assy_cut1.PNG

The second instance does not.

assy_cut2.PNG

I have tried several different cuts - using the front, right or bottom plane for the primary plane of the cut. I do through all to make sure that I get all the material. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Dale

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

I have now created a new instance with the same parameters as the one that keeps failing and it seems to work. I haven't deleted the old instance yet (got to find out where all it goes) but when I do and it works, I am guessing that either the instance was corrupted somehow, or that it was one of those keep regenerationg the generic and yet somehow the instance wouldn't update type of a thing.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Dale,

can you upload your files ?

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Have you tried making both cuts in one extrude feature?

Also take a look and make sure the assembly cut has the part listed for being acted on.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

There is not two cuts. Just one cut, cutting one part. The dimension from the top plane is in the family table and the part that is being cut is just another instance of the generic part.

Okay, now I am lost too

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I created a third instance and it works:

assy_cut3.PNG

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

I have now created a new instance with the same parameters as the one that keeps failing and it seems to work. I haven't deleted the old instance yet (got to find out where all it goes) but when I do and it works, I am guessing that either the instance was corrupted somehow, or that it was one of those keep regenerationg the generic and yet somehow the instance wouldn't update type of a thing.

Glad you got it resolved, Dale

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Thankful for a second station to keep some work moving along, but it has been a long day and a half figuring this out.

Well, maybe PTC should spend a few days figuring out what happened. Do you have maintenance? Definitely worth sending the corrupt dataset with a support case and have them give you an answer as to what was corrupt.

If this is family table related, they should probably know about it.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

As they say, "sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze".

By the time you had mention this, I had already deleted the bad instance and was well down the road, otherwise it would have been great to see what they may have come up with.

Top Tags