cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Assembly references lost in Autodesk Vault

CBenner
5-Regular Member

Assembly references lost in Autodesk Vault

Hi.  Haven't posted on here in nearly ten years.  Nothing personal but we switched back to Autodesk products.  The problem is that all of our Pro E Wildfire 4 & 5 assemblies were then dragged into our Vault... not checked in using the Vault add in for Pro E.  Our libraries were then zipped and moved to an archived network location.  Our licenses have all lapsed, of course, and the software is not installed anywhere.  The original disks we have do not work to install, either.

Bottom line:  How screwed are we?  CREO Viewer will allow me to view parts only, or drawings of single parts.  I cannot view assemblies, or drawings of assemblies.  Any magic we can perform to at least view these older designs?

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
11 REPLIES 11
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:CBenner)

If you were last on WF5, the likelihood is that you had perpetual licenses.  That means they are still valid and will allow you to run WF5, also known as Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 (CEP 5.0).

You'll need a workstation that runs Windows 7 as CEP 5.0 won't run likely on Windows 8 or 10.  I'd install the license server on the same machine as CEP 5.0 to make sure everything will run OK.  You'll then have to do some digging for your licensing info and so some talking with PTC to get a new license file. I believe that PTC will still give you a new license file even though your maintenance is not current.  It won't run anything newer than CEP 5.0, but that should be fine.,

Assuming that you can jump through all those hoops, you should be able to open and view the files.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:dgschaefer)

@dgschaefer

Thanks for the reply.  I think we can manage the hoops..., any idea where I might find a download of WF5?

Meanwhile I've reconstructed the path structure from our search.pro file and unzipped the library files.  All I need now is a copy of WF to try this out.  Pretty sure I still have the license file somewhere too, if it still works.  Jump off that bridge when I get to it.

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Were trying to install from CD on a Windows 8 or 10 PC? If so, try again on a Windows 7 machine.  If not, perhaps PTC would give it to you.  I would hope so, you did pay for it at one time.

You might also try copying the contents of the CD to a local disk.  As I recall, back at this time we'd download CD images to a network location and install from there.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:dgschaefer)

@dgschaefer

Thanks, Doug.

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

@dgschaefer wrote:

You'll need a workstation that runs Windows 7 as CEP 5.0 won't run likely on Windows 8 or 10. 

We are running PRO/Engineer Wildfire 4.0 M150 under Windows 10 Pro (so there's hope for you that CEP5.0 will also run)

CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:HamsterNL)

The Windows 7 environment will not be a problem, that's already being arranged by IT as we speak.

My issue right now is in getting my hands on WF 5.  The only install disks I have are WF 3, and most of my data was created on either 4 or 5, so 5 would be the best for opening the old files.  All attempts to contact PTC have hit a brick wall.  They don't even want to talk to me unless I shell out some money to reinstate my service contract, which expired nearly ten years ago.  I don't want or need a service contract, just a copy of the software I've already paid for.   I have nothing against Pro E or CREO or PTC, it was a business decision, and not even mine.

Any ideas where or how I could get a download?

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Chris,  did you get a solution to your problem with Creo data in Vault?  I used to administer Creo with Vault at Fluke, but we Did use the Creo addin pretty successfully for over 6 years...

CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:barryschaeffer1)

Nope,....

Dead in the water because PTC will not do anything for me unless I pay up my maintenance.  All I need i s a valid license file to run software I already own, but I can't even access Knowledge Base articles unless I pony up some cash.  I've attempted several times to load the license server, using the MAC address of the new computer, but keep getting an "invalid license key" error.  

Guarantee that we are not going to pay any money for getting this up and running, just to view legacy designs.

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
CBenner
5-Regular Member

A little more digging online, and I was able to use my existing license information to retrieve and move my exisitng license and generate a new file.  My Pro E is now up and running.

Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Welcome back! 😄

We are currently trying to populate Autodesk Vault with established Creo-3 library of parts and assemblies using the add-in, could use some tips (non-autodesk online help answers would be nice)

Top Tags