cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Assigning material or density to multiple parts

ptc-2774412
1-Newbie

Assigning material or density to multiple parts

Hello out there, I have inherited a rather large model that contains many sub-assemblies and parts, but most of the mass properties have not been defined properly for what I need. Most of the parts come up as being made out of the material "UNASSIGNED" and Pro/E won't let me edit their material or density unless I open up the parts individually. I'm dealing with a large enough collection of parts that this is infeasible. Is there any way to assign a material (or at the very least, a density) to multiple parts and/or sub-assemblies at a time? All my problems would be solved if I could just tell Pro/E that everything has a density of 2823 kg/m^3... I thought that one possible solution would be to change the default density value from "1" to 2823 kg/m^3, but I have not found any way to do this. I'm using Wildfire 3 Thanks!
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Hi Joseph, I have been playing around with this feature. You can edit the density under "Edit, Setup, Mass Props" on Wildfire 3. This gives you the "Setup Mass Properites" dialogue box, change the "Source" dropdown box from "Geometry" to "Geometry and Parameters" and this will give you the ability to select "Edit". From here you can enter the Model Mass, or Inertia or C of G etc. Hope this helps? By the way you can also set the mass for each of the Part files in the same way if you want to. Regards Paul

Joseph, I do not know how large an assembly you are talking about, but what I usually do is add the colum density to the model tree and edit the densities from the model tree. Wayne

Hi add this config option ( Tools -> Options ) "mass_property_calculate" = automatic Regenerate ur assembly, I think it will work Regards Venu

Thanks, Wayne...that at least reduces this to an exercise in tabbing. The other ideas don't work for me because when I specify the mass properties of an assembly, the value does not propagate down to the sub-assemblies and parts within that assembly in the tree. Then, when I ask Pro/E for the mass properties of the entire assembly, it uses the mass properties of each component part (some of which are the incredibly useful default value of 1 tonne/mm^3). I would have thought that specifying the density of an assembly would, you know, actually specify the density of all parts in that assembly.

Hi Joseph, If you set the weight of the Assembly as I suggested and then you go to the "Analysis, Model, Mass Properties" you then have to click in the "Assigned" and not the default "Computed" option, it does say silly things about density=1 but ignore it and do the calculation and it will use your specified Assembly weight. Regards Paul

Aha! Much more believable values. Thanks.

Hello Joseph, you might have a look at the Spekan Batch Tool http://www.usginnotiv.nl/13855/sTools.html It executes a mapkey on a list of files.
Top Tags