cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach note or symbol to components in assembly drawing view to show part number

Highlighted

Attach note or symbol to components in assembly drawing view to show part number

How would one attach note or symbol to components in assembly drawing view to show partnumber (file name)of the component the note or symbol is attached to?

This would be for a cross section view of an un-exploded assembly.
I would like to be able to show a note containing the component file name
pointing to a component with a leader and have it done automaticly.

I thought I had done or seen this done in the past

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Don

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

SUMMARY: Attach note or symbol to components in assembly drawing view to show part number

It appears the only way to automaticly display the part number (file name)
for components in an assembly view is to use a BOM report repeat region and
create a custom symbol then use alt symbol to change the balloon to the custom
symbol to show the part number.

Thanks for the help
Don

Highlighted

RE: SUMMARY: Attach note or symbol to components in assembly drawing view to show part number

I know it can be done, or used to be able to be done, because i have done it. There is either a parameter or an options command you have to imbed in the drw file first. something like "alow_asm_mbr_name_note".

I worked for company that did a lot of work for DuPont and thier drawing files were loaded up with many params andoption commands.

Thanks, Dave

Highlighted

RE: Attach note or symbol to components in assembly drawing view to show part number

In Reply to Donald Anderson:
How would one attach note or symbol to components in assembly drawing view to show partnumber (file name)of the component the note or symbol is attached to?

I must have missed this when it was first asked back in April. You can attach a note with the text "&<parameter>:att" and it will pull the parameter value from the part the note is attached to.

With cross section views, it gets a little tricky. You need to query select and watch at the bottom of the screen when selecting edges. The first edge it will select is the edge belonging to the cross section, you should be able to toggle to another edge behind that one that belongs to the part. If you use the section edge, there's no parameters for the note to use.

Doug Schaefer

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Highlighted

I tried this with "&model_name:att" and it did not work on my drawing. I
am on WF3 M090. Is this an enhancement in WF4? Is there a drawing or
config option that needs to be set?

Peter Stockhausen

Pollak

Highlighted

No, I use it all the time on WF2 and I think it worked in 2001. You
have to make sure you're getting a model edge, not a x-section edge.

It's possible that the config setting 'create_drawing_dims_only yes'
will prevent this behavior. Check for that.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Highlighted

You can't use system parameters such as "&model_name". You have to use
user parameters such as "&part_number" and create a relation of
"part_number = rel_model_name" to show the model name with the ":att"
suffix.

Arnold
-----End Original Message-----
Highlighted

Yes but to the best of my knowledge you can only grab the parameter from
a part model and not a sub-assy in the drawing.

Daniel M. Rakes

Staff Design Engineer

Lockheed Martin

Coherent Technologies

135 S. Taylor Avenue

Louisville, COLORADO 80027-3025
Highlighted

You can do sub-assemblies if you know their drawing ID number. The same
way that you can show the different models in the tables of the format.
Replace the ":att" with the number (ex. &part_number:3).

Arnold
-----End Original Message-----
Highlighted

RE: Attach note or symbol to components in assembly drawing view to show part number

I have been trying to apply this to a drawings note section. All looks great. I enter &PART_NUMBER:"session id"for each item I would like in the notes.Again all is great. The notes show correct with all the part numbers, until I repaint. As soon as I repaint a bunch of the part numbers change to *** and even one went as far as changin to be a date and time. Yes on its own it change the symbol to be proi_created_on:d. I have found the difference to be that the ones that didn't work were done as INSERT, COMPONENT, INCLUDE. I have these items added this way to populate the bom and not add any weight to the model. The note they were goining into was a not shown note. My work around might have to be assembling them in as an empty rep. But it is unfotunate that I will have to deal with the extra weight in my master rep. Am I missing something or is this another one of those really cool PTC item that only does 90% of what it should.

Jason

Highlighted

FYI: I have figured out a work around. I am able to createsome relations and parametersin the drawing. The relationsdon't seem to loose their reference tothe included items like the note did.

not_shown_a=PART_NUMBER:"session_id"
not_shown_b=PART_NUMBER:"session_id"
not_shown_c=PART_NUMBER:"session_id"

not_shown=not_shown_a +", "+ not_shown_b +", "+ not_shown_c +"."

Announcements