cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Balloons for simplified reps!

SOLVED

BOM Balloons for simplified reps!

Hi

We have some fairly large assemblies which we want to show on a drawing.

The problem is that on sheet 1 we use a simplified rep called Default with a BOM and BOM Balloons.

On sheet 2 we have a simplified rep called Inspection_side with several components hided.

We want to use the numbers from the BOM on sheet 1 to show up on Balloons on sheet 2.

OTB it's not possible, but have any of you some good ideas??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: BOM Balloons for simplified reps!

We dug a little deeper and found a solution.

Layout Tab > Format section > Component Display > Blank.

Not the most sophisticated solution, but it works well for us.

You can pick the model in the view or in the browser.

Now you can keep the same Simp Rep and just "adjust" it a little bit.

12 REPLIES 12

We often have the same problem - and also no useful solution!

Always doing double work on two repeat regions.

We dug a little deeper and found a solution.

Layout Tab > Format section > Component Display > Blank.

Not the most sophisticated solution, but it works well for us.

You can pick the model in the view or in the browser.

Now you can keep the same Simp Rep and just "adjust" it a little bit.

The problem is, if somebody else has to make a modification on the drawing, he only on closer inspection recognizes, that components in a view have been blanked.

We're using WF4 - maybe in the drawing model tree (since WF5) this can be regognized better?!

One way or another, PTC please provide us a solution!

Hi ,

In my opinion using index for balloons is not very reliable, even for one single table, if you have simp rep it will become worse.

My suggestion -

1- Create a string parameter you models . "pos" for example.

2- Instead of index column use "asm.mbr.pos" as parameter in the repeat region

3- Create a Custom Balloon symbol , or a copy from the existing one.

4- If copied, edit the copied symbol and replace where is "\index\" by "\asm.mbr.pos\".

5- Use that custom balloon symbol to show your balloons from repeat regions.....

That way you won't need to worry about fix/unfix. Each components will have its own position, no matter what simp. rep you are using.

Also you are able capture the value for that "pos" parameter from your file number if you want to.

Think about that.

Regards

Highlighted

I have used the technique you are talking about and it works but it has got some problems. For example, we use fasteners that don´t have any numbers, the file name can be: DIN912_M10x50. With these fasteners or other commercial items we don´t have any numbers to capture your "pos" from...

Regards

Hello,

I recently found a nice behavior of ProE regarding Pro/report and SimpRep that could solve your issue:

1) Create a "temp" simprep with all comps as MasterRep.

2) Create a "temp" drw with a view of the ASM + ReportTable (related to the "temp" SimpRep)

--> Fix all Indexes of the region

--> Create balloons for all

--> SAve your temp drawing

--> Erase the Temp Drawing from memory

3) Delete the "temp" SimpRep from your ASM

4) Create your Final Drawing

5) Import (merge) the temp DRW in your Final Drawing

The trick is here: As the "Temp" SimpRep does exists anymore, ProE asks to select another SimpRep to replace it !

--> You Merge the Temp drawing twice and your job is done !

Hope this helps.

Thibault

If you have a stand alone "repeat-region-type" BOM table, as I've made, the simplified rep that is active when you insert the table is the one that populates the table. You can then "fix index" to get all the parts to match the "master" BOM on sheet 1. Fixing indexes is easy and should always be done anyways because if you go changing the order of the parts in the model tree, it will affect the master BOM anyways, leading to issues with notes referencing certain item numbers. In my opinion, fixing indexes is mandatory, and would solve your problem as well. It's also extremely simple.

just to add to this.. in the component display box.. if you select all views.. the items you click.. will hide on all sheets, and views..  this could come in handy

I stuck with this problem for the whole day. This is what I done so far.

Repeat Region  - Model/Rep - (click on your region) then link to your Assembly file. On open rep windows choose you Rep that you want to show on that detail drawing.

Your table region is updated to your Rep and you can now create BOM balloon without effected your master assembly drawing.