cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

BOM balloons

lheiden
1-Newbie

BOM balloons

Anyone know how I can have 3 assemblies on my drawing with 1 BOM.

each assembly has the same press and nest, each assembly has a different punch on the press ram.

I need the BOM to show all of the items in the 3 assemblies and each assembly pictured to have the balloons

shown per item.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11
James62
10-Marble
(To:lheiden)

Put everything into only one assembly, for which you can make the BOM in the assembly drawing.

Then make 3 different representations of that assembly, and show views of the representations in the assembly drawing side by side with the full BOM.

To show ballons on the views from reps make dummy BOMs for each of these rep views outside the border of the drawing. You will then have multiple BOMs in your drawing, and so you will get asked to select a BOM everytime you will want to place a BOM Balloon.

There are indented BOMs out there (I think some of the tutorials have them) but they are unwieldy as far as selecting the structure depth you want to show.

But I agree with Jakub on this one; assemble all three into a next level. I would question the logic of your original goal when only one part changes. It is logical to manage the single press without the tool change part at a lower level. Not that every request is logical, of course.

Just another example to -not- use the tools as intended I have -never- used the built in BOM structures or BOM balloon features. My clients (employers) were just too fickled about what they -really- wanted and managing a manual BOM table was always the logical solution.

Oh, I've actually forgot to tell the most important thing here.

That is if you really want to go the route with multiple BOMs of multiple simp reps, then you are gonna run into problems with INDEX of all the balloons, in case you don't have the same amount of components in each rep, and the main assy. Which is never the case.

You'd then need to have some sort of user defined parameter like SORT in every part, that is being read into your BOM, and according to which this BOM is being sorted, and also have some user defined BOM balloons that would only read this SORT parameter from your BOMs.

It's not really easy to understand, and get everything ready for this method. This is the way I make assembly drawings, cause I think this is the most bulletproof way, if you consider making changes which usually come after a long time.

You can always try something simple like adding dummy models into simp reps with excluding those from the master rep, which then becomes other than master rep of course, but at the end of it all, doing just that always leads to a huge mess.

I've never heard of indented BOMs.

Oh, and manual BOM tables?

Jakub Fojtik wrote:

Oh, and manual BOM tables?

The complacency in the industry for people to trust the tools is costing companies $M. One little error on a BOM can mean $100K in a wrong purchase or worse, a missing critical component. All too often someone is in a hurry and circumvents the system to take care of a small issue that ripples through and over time becomes a serious problem, which of course leads to finding the guilty and blaming the innocent (the culprit is likely long gone already). In what my job entails, -knowing- my BOM is correct is on me. And the only way I know is if I check it. I will not rely on a system to do this for me or worse, "randomly" changes it.

Overall, BOM structures are a very small percentage of my typical role. Well worth the extra effort to ensure completeness and sustainability. However, if an organization has the controls and check functions to ensure compliance to vetted procedures -in every case-, then indeed there is a need for reliable tools for productivity throughput.

We as engineers and designers are always looked at as being the button pushers that make the whole product go from CAD Idea to Production. All we need to do is push the big green button and its done, right? HA!

Jakub Fojtik wrote:

I've never heard of indented BOMs.

I use that term loosely with regard to PTC supplied features in Creo. You can generate a complete structure BOM with one of the bom_tables included in some of the "upgrade" tutorials. I found it by accident one day. If doesn't just parse the current level, but all levels and constructs a simple, bare formatted list of everything.

Again, I have not looked at all the capabilities of the BOM tables provided and I may well be overlooking something. There is no reason someone cannot build an intelligent dialog to build whatever BOM you want. I suspect this effort is more or less included in Windchill instead. BOMs in Creo is just a stop-gap for the rest of us.

Right. The person using the repeat region has to know what it really does, and where all the params come from into it, else it can lead to a huge mess.

But on the other hand when the person knows what purpose the RR serves, then it can save them a ton of time, and all edits can be pretty much automatic. So, no human errors being involved then.

On the other had again, repeat regions are pretty much hard to explain in full details.

I see what you mean by these indented BOMs. Those are just plain stupid sandbox BOMs, not really showing much of what can be done with repeat regions, but just for starters it's good to know about these.

I have an ITEM param. in my start part. this drives the BOM ballons. Once you insert the table you pick

table

bom balloon

set param

pick the first item in the bom (#1) 1x, rpt.index, pick it qagain asm.mbr.item

now the balloons are driven by the ITEM # you assigned to the model when you designed it.

See if you have a file called bom_table.tbl in one of the elearning/Lab and Demo files folders. This BOM will list everything in your assembly. So if you do as Jakub suggests, put all 3 in one assembly, you can get a full BOM of everything included.

This file is included in the UPDATE from WF(whatever) to Creo tutorials. With the pre-determined ITEM parameter, you should be able to customize this table to do what you want.

I would attach it but I might be flogged for that.

James62
10-Marble

Nice, you are good to go then. It just remains to put it all together, and set up some of those simp reps.

I've never knew you can change the param of the default bom balloon, thanks for the tip.

your welcome. I like being able to assign the balloon # to the part by haveing the balloon driven by the param, ITEM

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I used to hat the repeat region BOM's, but then I worked at a company where it was policy to use them, and I actually learned to be pretty good at it, with the help of getting to take apart BOM's made by "expert" contractors who came in there and set it up before me. I learned a ton, and think the BOM I ended up with there is even better. If you take the time to get all the proper parameters in the part from the start, and are dilligent about your CAD models, they work great, and I've never seen a mistake. If it's done sloppily, well....GIGO.....

Depends on what you need. If you've got a ton of existing models (especially from outside vendors/McMaster, etc.) with parameters all over the place, then just a table will work better. If you have a good start part and rigidly adhere to certain practices, then repeat regions work great. I had mine sorting by model type (assy, part, etc.), then by vendor parts, weld filler, lube/sealant, paints/coatings, etc. You can (and should) always fix index to prevent the index numbers changing, and use "deleted" parts to replace ones that are deleted, as placeholders. Fix index works on simplified reps well when you are doing things like process dwgs.

Actually, I think I posted my BOM and maybe the balloons somewhere here in another similar thread.

Best of luck!

That sounds great, Frank. I guess your repeat region took a while to build.

Top Tags