cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

BUSTING UP A SUB ASSEMBLY

hspaulding
3-Visitor

BUSTING UP A SUB ASSEMBLY

I have an assembly that contains a sub-assembly and several parts.

I have decided that now I do not want the sub-assembly, just all the parts contained in the sub-assembly.

Is there a way to "unassemble" or "ungroup" all the parts in the sub-assembly and still keep them all in the main assembly?

Creo 2.0 M050

Thanks,

Herb Spaulding

Miller Industries

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

I am interested in hearing the responses on this one.

From my understanding the EDIT, RESTRUCTURE command will do this.

But, I had also been told it is not a good idea to use this command as it can cause issues. Something to the effect that it is only changing the structure on the surface?

~Doug
bfrandsen
6-Contributor
(To:hspaulding)

In Creo 2.0 you can drag'n'drop the components directly in the model tree, just like reorder of features.

/Bjarne

First, I would like to thank everyone who responded.

I tried the EDIT/RESTRUCTURE method and the DRAG AND DROP. This worked on some of the parts, but not all.

I kept getting the message “Attempts to append parent after child. Aborting restructure”.

Apparentlysome parent /child relationships in the sub-assembly is preventing this from working on some.

egifford
4-Participant

Just to check - even in Creo 2 Parametric, doesn't restructure typically still leave a logical loop to the original assembly? For instance, if I have components 1, 2 and 3 in Assembly A, and decide to use restructure to put 2 & 3 in a sub-assembly called B that resides within A. - 2 and 3 still have a logical link through A to understand where they really are in the context of the assembly. So if I use sub-assembly B as a componentsomewhere else, say assembly Z, that effectively creates a dependency between A and Z. As someone else wrote, it's just superficial restructure. Despite how nice of a tool it appears to be, we've avoided using it for these reasons. I suppose one could clean up the placement constraints to correct this, but that sort of eliminates the time "savings" of the restructure command. This is how it still works, right?

It's all about your references. If the assy refs for 1 & 2 still refer to A then yes, they are linked to A. Restructure makes it easier to get the components in the assy where they need to live, that's all. In your example, after the restructure you can then open B and find your components there and properly positioned. You can then redefine them there to tie them to what they need to in B, breaking the reference to A.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
egifford
4-Participant

Essentially how it works behind the scenes is unchaged, it's just a cleaner interaction to do a restructure in Creo 2. We'removing to Creo 2 soon and my fear is with the ability to now drag-n-drop parts, sub assemblies etc.to restructure, people will do this on accident / unintentionally. People occasionally do this in Windows Explorer and panic because they just lost an entire folder of data, when they somehow accidentally dragged it into an adjacent folder making it nested. It'd be nice if there was a "confirm restructure Yes / No" popup window that could be enabled by a config option. Definitely a function that you have to teach people to use properly, with some warnings,so they don't use it incorrectly.

Top Tags