cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Balloons and Snap lines

ptc-2265543
1-Newbie

Balloons and Snap lines

Using Creo, can assembly balloons be attached, or 'offset', to snap lines created in drawing mode?

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

I wrongly considered using a draft grid for this. Something very weird about attached balloons however.

If balloons are placed attached (with leader), they do not fall on the grid. If you place the balloon without a leader it does fall on grid. You can then attach the balloon to the feature it does maintain grid placement whenever you move the balloon.

I'd say this is a bug. I have used this methods from the beginning of time and this is the 1st time I have noticed this odd behavior. I am using Creo 2.0 M020.

edit: this strange behavior is now reported to CS. Will update with reply.

Hello Antonius:

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I think creating a snap line and using it as an alignment guide for balloons is probably just as good as any other solution. It would be helpfull for Pro/E to create an 'offset' option similar to symbols.

Thanks again,

Joe

FYI: the issue of snapping an annotation node to grid when an attachment is used has been submitted as an SPR

...submitted SPR 2157889 (High Priority)

It is always good to have these discussions to make the product better. Thank you for bringing up the subject.

Today I received a quick note from support to tell me how to align a note with a leader to the grid. You have to move the node at the end of the leader to the gridpoint after initially dropping the note. (yet more clicks).

But they never addressed the balloon issue. Balloons don't have elbows, so no node to move. We are now on M030 (originally reported on M020) and problem still exists.

I updated my case with PTC. The email came outside the system so I added my comments in the case history.

Are these quys really reading our issues? I certainly hope (hoped?) that the SPR would have be vetted carefully against the complaint.

Now I am convinced that the first order of Customer Service is to waste a customer's time rather than investigate the very comments we provide in the fiirst place.

I get woken up this morning so I could show CS exactly what the problem was. It is -very- obvious they are not doing their job! They are not even trying to create the error before calling us. Remember, this has already reached SPR level, meaning it was already dismissed by developers.

So both problems still exist.

• If a note or balloon is attached , it does not drop on grid by any of its nodes.
  • If not attached, a not will drop on grid at it's justification node (left/right/center/default)
  • If not attached, a balloon will drop on grid at the center of the balloon (center/middle justified text)

Two problems:

• Attached notes have to be placed onto grid by the leader, not the note... more mouse clicks.
  • Attached balloons cannot be moved to grid at all.

The work around is literally dozens of clicks. Apply the balloon without attachment; apply an attachment; the balloon now moves along the current grid. Otherwise, you have to detach the balloon (no leader); move it to grid; and reattach.

What is so difficult about seeing this as an error?

Where do I send the bill for PTC to cover my lost productivity?

-Nothing- has changed at PTC in a decade. If anything, it has only gotten worse.

Also "find" "balloon" in dtl options. A lot of useful options are available.

Top Tags