cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Basic Piping Starter Question

gormesher
1-Newbie

Basic Piping Starter Question

Hello guys

New to the Piping extension and having some difficulty with the assembly attached.

PIPING-ASSy.jpg

I basically want 16 pipes from the top plate to go to the bottom plate.

the above example will cover 90% of the assemblies I will be creating in the future with the only variables being the number of

holes and the positions of the plates in respect to each other.

Normally I would sketch a curve and sweep an extrusion to simulate the pipes but I wanted to try and learn the piping extension.

I have followed a few tutorials but none fit the above problem ,not that I can find anyway.

Regards

Geoff

2 REPLIES 2
sully7
13-Aquamarine
(To:gormesher)

Hi Geoff,

Unlike the cabling extension, which allows you to route multiple cables at a time, sadly each pipeline created via the piping extension must be modeled "one at a time". BUT there are plenty of tricks you can use to make these sets of geometry simply and easily.

If offers very useful functionality such as the "connect" feature, the "follow pipe" feature, and many others (of course, UDFs/mapkeys are a viable option as well), but depending on how you'd want your routing to look, as well as what fittings you would need to include, it'd mostly be a manual process - although it'd still be MUCH faster than manually modeling sweeps and curves and such.

In terms of modifying/improving the "out-of-the-box" functionality, we are actually unveiling an auto-piping solution at LiveWorx next week! If you'll be at the conference, definitely come stop by our booth - because based on your explanation, it sounds like it could potentially save you a lot of time. We'll also be posting in the forums with videos and demos over the next few weeks, so keep an eye out for it!

Thanks,

James Sullivan

CadActive Technologies

President & Founder
CadActive Technologies - www.cadactive.com

Thanks James

I'm wondering if I could use the cabling feature instead as its just for visual purposes at the moment?

Regards

Geoff

Top Tags