cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Can I manually enter in the center of gravity of a part

BrianStoddard
1-Newbie

Can I manually enter in the center of gravity of a part

Is there a way to manually enter in where the center of gravity is on an assembly (based on X, Y, Z coordinates, possibly)?? I'm using a STP file of a motor and want to manually place to COG since I don't know what the materials are of each part to find out their mass properties. I'm in the process of finding out what the actual COG is from a vendor but want to put this into my model so I can see how it affects the overall COG for the assembly that the motor is attached to. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes u can do it, for creo do to file>prepare>model properties> mass properties> in the top of the window select geometry and parameter and place you predefined value.

Regards,

Jayanta Sarkar

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yes u can do it, for creo do to file>prepare>model properties> mass properties> in the top of the window select geometry and parameter and place you predefined value.

Regards,

Jayanta Sarkar

That worked perfectly. Thanks.

Don't forget to mark it as correct for those who follow behind.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:jsarkar)

One caveat: When running a mass properties analysis, Proe & Creo (I just confirmed this is still true as of Creo 2.0 M030)will still use the computed values instead of the values assigned in this manner. Values used in relations will use the assigned, however.

When running an analysis, make sure you pick 'Assigned' instead of the default 'Computed':

Capture.JPG

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

BTW - If you,, like me, think that 'assigned' should be the default if there are alternate values present, go and upvote this idea:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1150

--
LinkedIn
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:dgschaefer)

Hey Doug,

Just came through this old post. I think that we made this change in one of later datecodes of Creo02 ... not sure by default or we added onfig option for this though - will check.

Regards

- Vlad

bwudtke
10-Marble
(To:vzak)

Was this updated in the config options?
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:vzak)

@vzak wrote:

Hey Doug,

Just came through this old post. I think that we made this change in one of later datecodes of Creo02 ... not sure by default or we added onfig option for this though - will check.

Regards

- Vlad

This is an old post, but it seems that I never verified this statement and @vzak never came back with more information. I'm running Creo 2 M230, the final build I believe, and it still defaults to computed even if a mass value has been assigned.  Perhaps it was done through a config option.

--
LinkedIn
Top Tags