cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Can we build a hierarchy of assemblies, parts and drawings before creation?

Bhoopathy
4-Participant

Can we build a hierarchy of assemblies, parts and drawings before creation?

Dear PTC Users,

Can we build a hierarchy of assemblies, parts and drawings before creation in PTC Creo Software?

Can any one give me the light to the road.

Note: Myself previously worked with SOLIDWORKS. Treehouse-Assembly-Structure.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

You can pre-define product structures in Windchill, which is the PTC PDM system, though I don't recall a drag-and-drop interface. I don't see a release and managment component in Solidworks Treehouse.

Bhoopathy
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

Hi dschenken,

Thanks for the info,

Let say in Creo essential.

In CAD segment, do we have any tool for pre-define product structures.

Regards, 

Bhoopathy

Hello,

In CAD, Creo Parametric, no option as of now. 

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, this could be implemented by a project team or leader at the beginning of a new design project.

The practical part is straightforward. Simply create a new drawing, and then add a new assembly to the drawing. Now populate the assembly with any parts or other assemblies in whatever hierarchy you need for your project.

Having done this, you can assign specific designers to work on specific parts of the whole design simultaneously (Joe progresses assembly A while Paula and Ian develop assemblies B and C, and so on).
Bhoopathy
4-Participant
(To:jhaston-3)

Thanks for the info, Let say in Creo essential. In CAD segment, do we have any tool for pre-define product structures.

I do agree in PTC PLM we can.

Creo assembly models are hierarchies and plm is not needed to create a Creo assembly. You are empowered to build your hierarchy whenever you like, with or without any solid geometry.

Since I am aware you are not a Creo novice, let me suggest an avenue...

Can you edit a pro-program script to simply create empty parts and dump them into an assembly file?

My thinking here is that you could go and create a multi-level BOM and have a quick script just create the parts, assemblies, and pre-structured assemblies.  A higher level integration would test for pre-existence of parts/assemblies prior to creating one.

Of course, this consideration is not for Windchill... just us broke core users.

Top Tags