cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Changing file names without affecting other assemblies

ChristianSmith
1-Newbie

Changing file names without affecting other assemblies

This is a problem I've never truly been able to figure out. I work for a company that has a large product line. Many times I come across a file (part, assembly, etc) that has a name that doesn't match what it should be. I want to rename it so that it will be easier to find in the future but it is already connected in so many different ways to other assemblies. Normally (what I have done) is open all of the assemblies that are currently using the part I want to rename, then rename the part so that it will reflect on the assemblies. Then I save everything and done. Is there a way to rename a part and have it reflect on every other file it affects without having to open them? I'm in wildfire 5.0 and if I do this and try to open up an assembly after having changed the name of a component in that assembly it will say "part is not in directory," or "file not found." Something along those lines, and then it will just close. So that is my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Use command Replace -> By Copy in assembly mode.

I think Replace is only going to work in the assembly you are currently working on. For what you are trying to do your componany probably really needs to look into a Product Data Management system.

Okay, so it's not a feature that Pro E is able to do, that helps. Thats what I needed to know. Thank you.

You can easy do this with Windchill.

Top Tags