cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Changing part descriptions (Creo 2.0)

dm224a
1-Newbie

Changing part descriptions (Creo 2.0)

I'm trying to figure out how to change the description (common name) of parts, some imported and some modeled. The only way I've figured out so far is to rename an assembly with the parts in it and go through the components and change the common name, this involves 2 renames of each part. There has to be an easier way to do it, right?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
dm224a
1-Newbie
(To:dm224a)

It doesn't let me change the common name when I do the standard rename.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:dm224a)

You have to uncheck the rename on disk... rename only in session.

This simply changes an attribute and you have to save the part to have it remain.

The whole rename let you optionally keep your current files in tact. If you have an assembly or drawing open, for instance, you can swap out a part. But the whole dialog is somewhat archaic. I often have to do what you are doing in two steps... rename the part, and then rename to common name. Silly, I know.

Top Tags