cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Connecting Bulk parameter with assembly parameter

bpaulose
1-Newbie

Connecting Bulk parameter with assembly parameter

Hi,

I have bulk part for Paint. As you can imagine, the quantity of paint depends on the surface area. (For me it can vary between 0.5 to 3 litres). I have the total surface area to be painted as a parameter in assembly. Now I need to connect that to a parameter in the bulk and then multiply by the thickness and add the wastage (in percentage). Our usual method of connection is not working (SURFACE_AREA = TOTAL_SURFACE_AREA:1)

Is it possible to somehow give BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY in a normal part. I need this as the quantity can have decimal places (eg 0.617 litres or 1.221 litres etc...)

Awaiting for some answer.

Regards

Basil

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Solved.

Create Component Parameter in Assembly for the bulk. (Use pull down options in parameters in assembly > Choose components > Select the bulk > add parameter)

Create a relation in assembly connecting component parameter to the required assembly parameter

In BoM use ASM.MBR.CPARAM.parametername

Basil

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

So what is the amount of paint that is used per unit area?

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:bpaulose)

Not sure how you have it set up but you probably need to set up component relations for the bulk item in an assembly. BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY is specifically used for reporting quantities of bulk items. Adding the parameter to the bulk item doesn't seem to allow you to update it with a relation (it's always locked for me) but it does if you create the parameter as a component parameter.

bpaulose
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

Thank you Kevin for your response.

I created measure in individual parts for the surfaces that need to be painted. Then I connected it to a parameter SURFACE_AREA in individual parts. In assembly I created a parameter TOTAL_SURFACE_AREA and made a relation to add all the part parameters to this. (TOTAL_SURFACE_AREA = SURFACE_AREA:3 + SURFACE_AREA:7 + SURFACE_AREA: 11..... ).

I tried to create a component parameter in the assembly. As you said, it is not locked. But this parameter is not seen once I open the bulk. Where do you create the relation to connect this. In assembly or in Bulk? I am unable to add that parameter to relation in bulk. Is it fine if I add it in the assembly?

bpaulose
1-Newbie

Dear Kevin,

How do we bring component parameters to BoM?

I created a component parameter and connected to the assembly parameter using assembly relation. But it is not coming in the drawing Bill of materials.

Do you have any suggestion?

Regards

Basil

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:bpaulose)

To show the the value in the BOM you need to use the parameter BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY since it is a bulk item. In the assembly add the parameter as a component parameter by selecting Component from the drop down list in the parameters menu. The relation is added the same way in the relations menu. If you want, although you don't need to, I believe you can keep your assembly relation TOTAL_SURFACE_AREA and make the Component relation BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY = TOTAL_SURFACE_AREA. You could also change the assembly relation to the Component relation replacing TOTAL_SURFACE_AREA with BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY. In your BOM with a table containing &rpt.QTY it should display the value of the relation for the bulk item.

Based on your description the parameter and relation my just be in the wrong places. Since relations can't be added to bulk items i'm guessing that is why the parameter is moved to the component level in the assembly. I tried with an empty bulk item, added BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY to it, and when adding the relation the parameter was removed from the bulk item level to the Component level in the assembly.

bpaulose
1-Newbie

Is it possible to get component parameter in the BoM table in the drawing?

Solved.

Create Component Parameter in Assembly for the bulk. (Use pull down options in parameters in assembly > Choose components > Select the bulk > add parameter)

Create a relation in assembly connecting component parameter to the required assembly parameter

In BoM use ASM.MBR.CPARAM.parametername

Basil

We can have component parameter &rpt.QTY and govern parameter with bom relation.

if asm_member_name (this is component name parameter) == "Bulk item (your bulk item part number)"

rpt.qty="0.9 Lt"

endif

something like this might work for you.

Thanks,

Jitu

Top Tags