cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Constraints for part made in assembly in 2.0?

theaeroguy
3-Visitor

Constraints for part made in assembly in 2.0?

Hello all,

I had to add a part to an assembly I was making, so I modeled the new part in the assembly with references based on some of the already existing geometry. Does this mean the new part has constraints by default? If not, how do I add them?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:theaeroguy)

The other potential option is the component could have been left unplaced or packaged, you will be able to tell that by looking at the model tree, it will have an open rectangle before the name of the part. A simple solution to an unplaced component is to add the FIX constraint, which actually leaves the part in the current position and adds x, y, z, and 3 angles for the placement from the assembly default coord system to the part default coord system.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The part had constraints when you first added it - probably Default. If you try to redefine its location in the assembly then the related features will probably fail.

You might want to go into the part and remove all external references by redefining the features before trying to redefine its placement in the assembly.

There is a different term for this... "External References"

Constraints are what you provide in sketches or in assembly placement.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:theaeroguy)

The other potential option is the component could have been left unplaced or packaged, you will be able to tell that by looking at the model tree, it will have an open rectangle before the name of the part. A simple solution to an unplaced component is to add the FIX constraint, which actually leaves the part in the current position and adds x, y, z, and 3 angles for the placement from the assembly default coord system to the part default coord system.

Top Tags