Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy a drawing with a flat state

Copy a drawing with a flat state

Hello,

Is there a way to make a copy off an assembly and making a copy off the flat state also?

I have an old drawing of a colleague I want to copy. I take the assembly and do “save a copy”. I rename all the parts shown in the dialog box. I also set the “copy drawings” on. When I want to open the new drawing a message is shown, can’t find the flat states! They are not renamed or copied! How can I solve this problem or prevent this problem?

Stefan

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Copy a drawing with a flat state

I don't know your setup but this is how I would do it. I would open the file & save to my workspace. Then in my workspace window select the files, assemblies, parts & drawings you want to copy. Then do save as. Then fix the names to your liking & exclude what you dont want.

It sounds like your 2d drawing is still looking for the originals. I would clear everything out & try again. If you just do a save a copy with the assembly open you might have problems.

Now I have deleted al flat states from the 2d drawing. Also in the menu manager from the drawings model. Now am I able to copy the assembly with the drawing. But when I don’t know if there are flat states in a drawing, then I have to delete al the files from my disk and start over again. This can’t be the way….is it?

Do you use workspaces?

Do I sound like an idiot? What is “workspace”? I only now this from mu AutoCAD past.

I am working from my working directory. The files are being copied to another location.

If you have maintenance, I would pose the question to customer support. This is something that could benefit from a look by PTC. You should not be loosing data in a save-as scenario.

Do you have the original drawing file open when you create the copy? Is the flat state a view state or a different model, or a family table instance? there really isn't a technical reason this should be happening unless there is a problem in the source file.

A workspace is where you can work with your CAD data before checking it into your data management system. We use pdmlink. You will probably more than likely have problems trying to do what you are doing in this way. I remember a long time ago doing this.

Oh, we don't have a workspace! We all work directly on the hard-disk. It sounds like the Vault from Autodedesk.

I only have the original assembly open when I make the copy off the assembly, parts and the drawing. In the drawing is a general view of the flat state (this is a part, sample.FLAT1.PRT) and not a Simp rep or something like that.

My coll

So when you do this is the 2d drawing looking for the original assembly not the copy?

Maybe that needs to be saved out separately.

I don't do save-as very often but if the flat state is not part of the assembly, it might be failing due to that.

I don't see how your structure is created (the relation between this flat state drawing and the assembly) but I suspect you need to manage the flat state drawing 1st, then the assembly. You might have to do a sort of hybrid save-as to maintain the relationship with the part in the assembly.

Remember that what you rename a subpart to the assembly while the assembly is in session, it will change in the assembly as well. If you backup everything to a temp folder, you could do the save-as manually, or at least, the problem files... and then do the save-as with everything else once you maintain the flat state associativity.

Announcements