cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Create BOM

ptc-4339982
1-Newbie

Create BOM

Hi I am quite new to Creo 1 and I would like help to create a bills of materials for an assembly. Does the process for creating a BOM follow the same pattern as for creating a title block, i.e. create a format with a table with the columns I require and fill this with parameter references?

If so then how would I add futher lines depending on the size of the assembly?

What parameter reference would I require in the table for example part name, title etc?

Is there better/prefered methods to this which I should follow and are there any tips/pointers you can give?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Steve

I tested the Creo default BOM table (sample BOM table)

It is a paginated table. It paginates the table and moves the items to next sheet if number of ites increases from 27

You must have modified the default creo table to create your table.

So your table also behaves in the same way

You can crear paginate as I have stated in the earlier message

Later you can save the table

Regards

K.Mahanta

Message was edited by: kshetrabasi mahanta (I have updated your table and attached)

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
linda
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4339982)

As far as i am concerned, The bom as a repeat region can be embeded in the template also. It will give you the general BOM, if you want something special , just modify the repeat region.

it will update automatically according to the assembly size , you do not need to add further lines for the neww added parts.

The general parameter you want to extrct from the system, "part name, drawing number, material.. which are the parameters of the components can be add into the repeat region embeded in the template.

I think it is the best way dealing with big assemblies.

hope it will help someway.

Hi,

If you want to use BOM table in assembly drawing

1.You can start with a sample pro-e table from quick table

2.You can edit the table as per your requirement

3.Save and use this later in other drawings

You can see the attached ppt document for your reference

If you want to add additional parameters in drawing like material, description, assembly number, etc

Then these parameters should be in your part parameters(part template)

Then only you can add these parameters in table drawing as a user parameter

You can add columns or delete columns as per your requirements

I hope this will help you

Regards

K.Mahanta

Hi Steve...

Yes, it's basically the same process. You'll make a table and fill in some special parameters to instruct the system to "pull" data from the various parts in the assembly. The system will automatically add a new row for each unique item in your bill of material. If you have a plate and 4 identical bolts, that counts as 2 unique items.

You'll want to create your table such that it expands upward using a repeat region. Your special parameters will only exist in the first row. The repeat region tells the system to automatically duplicate that same row over and over until all objects in your assembly have been added. Configuring a repeat region is a bit confusing the first time through.

Mr. Mahanta's presentation above contains some great information. He's basically advising you to choose from a pre-defined BOM and make modifications to suit your needs. These pre-defined BOMs already have repeat regions and most of the standard parameters defined. However, it really pays to understand what's happening in these tables rather than just copying them. Eventually you'll need to get under the hood and really work within the BOM table. Here are a few missing bits of information you'll need to know to do this:

(1) All BOMs need to have, at minimum, one column for the index. This will be your BOM item number (or find number as some call it). The parameter that drives this column is: &rpt.index

(2) Most BOMs also have a quantity column. The system will automatically add up identical items and place the total in this column. The parameter that drives this column is: &rpt.qty

(3) In your "start part" and "start assembly" you've probably defined some parameters of your own. Most companies create a parameter for "Description" and "Material". You may also have ones for cage code, part number, vendor name, or other data. You can extract any of these values using the following format: &asm.mbr.<Variable Name> For example, if you have defined a parameter called "test", you would use &asm.mbr.test in your BOM table.

(4) Most companies list a part number for each item in the BOM. You can simple use the parameter: &asm.mbr.name to report the name of each part in the assembly. This will report the model name of each part in your assembly. SOMETIMES you don't want the model name to appear in the "part number" column of your BOM. There are a couple of ways to override the standard model name in the BOM. This is a bit of a deeper topic. If you think you'll need to override the model name often, mention it so we can discuss some options for buulding in an automatic override option for you.

(5) There are other tricks you can use to extract material and mass properties data directly from the parts in your assembly. In fact, there's a whole host of special pre-defined system parameters for each and every Creo part and assembly. If you need something other than the parameters presented here, just ask and I'll be glad to discuss the other special parameters.

Once you've gotten the BOM to look exactly the way you want it, you'll save the table for reuse later. As Linda suggested, you can put the saved table into your template or format files and they'll automatically pop up whenever you start a new drawing. This is the way most companies do it.

If you need some additional slides and graphics to help you figure this out, I'll be happy to do it.

Thanks and good luck!

-Brian

Hi Brian

I have finally got around to having a deeper look at BOM tables and after getting Creo working again.

I now have a parts list which works however it will only repeat up to 27 parts and no further. I obviosuly must have to edit the repeat region settings however I cannot seem to be able to bring up anything which allows this.

Do you have any advice for repeat regions?

Hi Steve...

I'll be glad to help. It sounds like something is wrong with your repeat region. Unless you have the pagination features activated somehow, there shouldn't be a reason why your BOM is limiting itself to 27 parts. There are only a few reasons I can think of that would cause this.

Rather than trying to run down all of the scenarios, an easier way would be for me to simply table a look at one of your tables and investigate it myself. If you use the Advanced Editor when you're writing a response to a thread, you can attach files to your message. Could you simply save your table and attach it so I can take a look? I don't need any other data... I can probably diagnose your problem just from the table itself. Repeat regions can be complex but there are relatively few tricky pieces to them. Once you become acquainted with their idiosyncrasies, you can fixs them pretty easily.

If you can't send the actual table, maybe just a couple of screen shots would suffice. It would be easier with the table itself but I'll do my best to work with whatever you can provide.

Thanks! Hope you're doing well!

-Brian

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Hi Steve, Brian,

Could it be the difference between Flat & Recursive, seen as Flat/Rec Item in the repeat region menu. I believe Flat shows the items that exist in the top level assembly and Recursive shows the same plus items that exist in lower level assemblies. If using Recursive shows more items than desired, the excess can be blanked or filtered out.

-Kevin

Hi Kevin...

Yeah I was thinking this might come into play, too. This was one of those scenarios I mentioned in the previous response. I was being lazy by not explaining it.

Hopefully Steve sees your response and gives it a try. Depending on how his model is structured, this might give him what he wants. There are so many options, it's hard to know what's going on without seeing it.

Thanks for tossing this out there...

Take care,

-Brian

Hi Brian

The BOM file should be attached. I haven't got a clue to be honest about the options you were talking about. Whenever I click repeat regions I get the box as highlighted.

Options.png

However whenever I click an option nothing else happens. I did find that my table is not limited to 27 it seems that only the first 27 items will appear on sheet 1, the rest appear on sheet 2 so again this should be down to the options which I cannot seem to access.

Appolgies for seeming a total novice on this issue.

012555.PNG

Hi

First select your table

then click the Table dropdown(1)

click Paginate(2)

click Clear Extent(3)

Regards

K.Mahanta

Hi Steve

I tested the Creo default BOM table (sample BOM table)

It is a paginated table. It paginates the table and moves the items to next sheet if number of ites increases from 27

You must have modified the default creo table to create your table.

So your table also behaves in the same way

You can crear paginate as I have stated in the earlier message

Later you can save the table

Regards

K.Mahanta

Message was edited by: kshetrabasi mahanta (I have updated your table and attached)

Hi I need to create a common BOM table for a Generic assembly and its assembly instances. I am unable to created the table as i needed. Could you help me to figure out the solution. I have attached a picture of my bom template.

Regards,

thiru

Search the community for "BOM Instances"

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Steve Dicken wrote:

However whenever I click an option nothing else happens

Steve,

When you click an option in this menu the next thing that Creo wants is for you to select the repeat region that you want to apply the option to.

Keep an eye on the messages that Creo is giving you. The message on your screen is coming in just above the Windows taskbar. It says "Select a Region".

-Kevin

linda
5-Regular Member

hi

it seems that your bom template is paginated repeat region, which extent to next page after 27 item. you can modify this table by choosing the table, then chose the table with an arrow under on the commands bar, choose paginate,choose clear extent. save it. next time when you use this template, you can choose how many items you want in the first page by pageinate the table, by choosing the last item in the first page, add extent to put the other items to the other sheet , or add segment to add other items in the same sheet as the first page of bom.

i use my options and the defaut option from creo, they give me the same result, not paginated repeat region, so i have to manually to paginate the table to the sheet sheet or the next sheet.

see my bom as attached.

Hi Steve...

I think everyone has sort of "gang solved" your issue with the default table. If anything else comes up, let us know.

Take care...

-Brian

Thank you Mr.Brian Martin.

your explaination on generating BOM is very helpful to me.

anegi
5-Regular Member
(To:BrianMartin)

Dear Brian,

Please explain further in deep about adding parameters other than those which r predefine.

For Example if i am want to give the surface finish or say vendor name for each part in an assembly how will i do the same.?

Top Tags