cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Creo 2.0 measure tool. Can the measure tool be configured to infer the axis of holes and radii if no axis datums exist?

rbast
1-Newbie

Creo 2.0 measure tool. Can the measure tool be configured to infer the axis of holes and radii if no axis datums exist?

My measure tool will not infer axis of my parts.  I don't know if this is a setting issue, user issue or a lack of functionality of the program.  With assemblies of more than 150 parts others have worked on in conversions from one CAD system to another.  I don't want to have to edit every part I have to add an axis datum in order to measure or constrain.  Creo is great at finding surfaces of diameters and radii on parts but I don't want that information for either measuring or constraining.

How do I get this program to infer axis?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rbast)

I believe you are not getting true diameters/radius conversions. To verify, go to the ANALYSIS tab, MEASUR drop down arrow, and select DIAMETER and attempt to select the surface you assume is a diameter/radius. CREO will not select anything except "radial" type geometry (edges/curves/surfaces). If nothing can be selected then you are not getting a good conversion.

CREO will assume centers on any 2 cylindrical surfaces (dumb solid or real features) as long as they are true diameters/radii. I verified on a step file I imported.

I suspect the conversion is your enemy.

diameters.jpg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

please attach a picture showing what do you want to measure .

MH

Martin Hanák

I figured out with measuring that I can choose in the analysis window to choose use as axis or use as center.

With contraints I have an iges and a part.  I have to go into the iges and create an axis datum because the constraints function keps wanting to do tangency when I want coincident axis or surfaces.  It wont recognize the iges file surface. 
I can't give you pictures due to security reasons.  I don't think I would have these issues if we were not dealing with converting between programs.  Our conversion software creates issues, but I have no control over that. 
Anyway I had another issue where I wanted to use angle offset and coincidence.  A part rotating on a shaft.  When I used coincident on the shaft and part using surfaces it would lock it so it wouldn't spin and the angle offset wouldn't work.  I had to create an axis on the shaft (again a dumb solid) in order for the part to have spin.  Then I used angle offset to get the right positioning.  If the program would infer a cylinder axis on a the dumb solid I wouldn't need to create a axis datum.  But it looks like I'm out of luck there.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I believe you are not getting true diameters/radius conversions. To verify, go to the ANALYSIS tab, MEASUR drop down arrow, and select DIAMETER and attempt to select the surface you assume is a diameter/radius. CREO will not select anything except "radial" type geometry (edges/curves/surfaces). If nothing can be selected then you are not getting a good conversion.

CREO will assume centers on any 2 cylindrical surfaces (dumb solid or real features) as long as they are true diameters/radii. I verified on a step file I imported.

I suspect the conversion is your enemy.

diameters.jpg

Top Tags