Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creo 3.0 repeat region?

Re: Creo 3.0 repeat region?

Similar discussion going on here:  I have a custom symbol that was created to add a suggested source table in model based definition. ...

Maybe you can address how you would meet his needed functionality.

I disagree, the BOM is not only for purchasing.  Maybe in big organizations such as the auto industry where every step in the assembly process is put into work instructions you can get away with that thinking, but the majority of small manufacturing and fab shops still need this information in the product definition for human consumption. Whether it's MBD or a drawing the product definition must be complete, unambiguous and flexible enough to accommodate the specialized needs of all industries. I agree with the earlier statement that the designer needs to be able to communicate assembly information such as where each of the 150 fastener PN's is supposed to go, torque information, adhesives, etc., without having users search through a massive model tree. There is no reason why all the functionallity of annotating a drawing (including a BOM table and balloons) cannot be moved into the model and published to a PDF for humans to view.

Creo recently added the combined views capability which has made it possible to produce a model with zoomed view states, layer control, sections and nicely organized dimensional annotations that emulate drawing views. In my opinion combined views are esier to work with than drawing views. This is a major step toward replacing a the full functionallity of a 2D drawing and gaining the advantage 3D model visualization. More functionality needs to be added though if you want all industries to adopt MBD.

I for one would love to adopt MBD as I see tremendous advantages for my company. The lack of being able to fully replace the drawing though is holding me back, in particular the fact that I haven't figured out how to place a BOM table in an annotation feature.

It seems every time I read a post about MBD there are 10 negative responces saying it doesn't work and will never happen. If you make it easy to migrate from drawings to MBD by providing full functionality then there will be nothing to complain about.

Not being able to do "drawing tables" in MBD is a big hole in capability. I have always created drawing tables for tracking (and summing) masses of products under-development. One "could" show all the parameters in  a model tree. But you loose the all-important ability to sum the masses of thousands of object... not to mention the nice table formatting tools.

As a crappy work-around, I'll be adding a 3D note that refers people to a traditional drawing that has only tables in it... and any other capabilities MBD annotations don't yet support that I need.