cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Creo 4 performance issues

MikeMarcoux
11-Garnet

Creo 4 performance issues

We've recently migrated from Creo 3 to Creo 4 M060.  We have a mix of users with different hardware, but have noticed that average sized assemblies are now lagging in Creo 4, where they were fine in Creo 3.  By "lagging", I mean the screen now occasionally freezes up when reorienting/rotating the assembly. The screen will seize for approximately 30 seconds to several minutes.  These assemblies aren't all that large in terms of # of components or memory, but the problem is pretty consistent across users. 

Windows 7, Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.7GHz, 24GB Ram, 64bit OS, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M

11 REPLIES 11
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MikeMarcoux)

Always the first step is to test the graphic card/graphics driver using the config option 

Graphics win32_gdi

If the specific problem goes away, you probably need to update your graphics driver and remove the config option and retest.

First thing I tried.  Unfortunately, the problem still persists. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

Does the CPU spike to full load (on that core) when it hangs?

No.  It sits between 30-50%. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Is hyperthreading enabled?  For example, full single core load on a 4-core machine with hyperthreading enabled will only show 13% total usage.

Is this happening with one particular assembly or is it happening with many/all of them?  Have you tried removing all custom config.pro options?  (Just temporarily for testing...)

Is this assembly something you could share with PTC?  If so, it might be worth opening a tech support case.

I think hyperthreading is enabled, but have asked IT to verify. 

Just ran a test, and it is occurring on a separate assembly in a different workspace. 

I'd love to send this PTC to look at, but I also love not going to jail  🙂

Do you know if there is PTC tool for monitoring and advising about performance issues like this? I know dassault has a couple of tools to monitor and test network/performance issues, and I could've sworn PTC had the same, but my old age may be catching up with me. 

Verified that hyperthreading is enabled.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

It sounds to me like Creo is going to 100% CPU usage (on that single core/thread) for some reason.  The question is why...  Does it make a difference if you are in different display modes (no hidden vs shaded, etc.)?  Have you tried altering the entity display settings in Creo to see if those have any impact?  Maybe try adjusting 'Edge display quality', 'Tangent edges display style', and 'Andi-Aliasing'.  Also take a look at these Model Display settings:  'shade quality' and 'Shade very small surfaces'.

The next thing to try would be suppressing or hiding some of the components and see if there some particular object causing issues.  Is it just pure model count or do certain models cause more of an issue?

Ultimately this may be something PTC has to look at...

Right now, this occurs in 'shading with edges' display mode, shade quality at 3, shade small surfs unchecked, anti-aliasing off, and edge display on medium.  I can crank it down further, but not sure of the impact. 

Unfortunately, I think you're right.  The down side is that this assembly can't leave these four walls.  We have a couple other things we're going to test and monitor next week, but I wanted to thank you for your time and recommendations. 

Have you tried to reproduce the problem using Windows 10 Operating System? Or have you tried updating the graphic driver on some of the machines (especially any hardware not supported for use with Creo 4)?

We're not on Windows 10 yet, but the upgrade is in the queue.  The hardware is supported, and we've checked that the drivers are the correct ones.  We're just living with it for the time being. 

Top Tags