cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creo Cabling Module

smr
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Creo Cabling Module

Hello all. The pipes in Creo piping module comes as a feature in the assembly model tree. However, while working on cabling module, we start by creating a harness (part) and the cable in the model tree comes as a component.

Is there any way of turning this component into a feature?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fmohr
5-Regular Member
(To:smr)

No, there is not a way to change this.  The Cabling module was created differently that the Piping module.

Sorry

Frank

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
fmohr
5-Regular Member

No, there is not a way to change this.  The Cabling module was created differently that the Piping module.

Sorry

Frank

smr
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:fmohr)

Oh, then is there a way to create a copy of the cable "part"? I would like to bring the Cable assembly as a sub-assembly; into a main terminal assembly multiple times in different locations.

The same cabling assembly i'd like to assemble to different terminals. Right now, the second time i bring the cable assy it falls into the 1st assy's location.

Thanks Frank.

fmohr
5-Regular Member

I'm not quite sure I understand your situations.  Are you;

1) Routing multiple wires to a terminal assembly?

Or

2) Routing the same harness/cable assembly, multiple times to the terminal assembly.

An generic image of the terminal assembly or your model tree may help..

Both of these are covered in the on-line training and help documents, but I'll try to summarize them.

I'm not deeply familiar with the Piping module, but remember you can have multiple wires and termination points in a harness assembly.  So a model tree of a harness assembly would look like this;

Harness.asm

Harness_part.prt

Connector.prt  (or .asm)     This is where the wires/cables in the harness part will terminate.  These are designated.

Connector.prt ( or .asm)

1) Multiple wires to a terminal assembly:  You will have one harness assembly, Harn.asm,that contains one harness part, harn_part.prt. This harness assembly will be a sub-assembly of your next higher level terminal assembly. 

2) Routing the same harness/cable assembly to a next higher level, but with different routings:  In order to do this you will need to make copies of the harness assembly and rename them with a unique identifier.  For example, if you start with harness assembly 1A1.ASM, With harness part 1A1_HARN.prt.  Then the second copy would be 1A1_02.ASM, with the part 1A1_HARN_01.prt, You can then assembly each of these to your next higher level terminal assembly and modify each route accordingly.  NOTE:  If they are the same harness/cable assembly, you will have to manually make sure the lengths of the cables are the same.

I hope this make sense and helps.  If not, add some image of the situation and I will try to help.

Frank

smr
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:fmohr)

Thanks Frank. Sorry, I cannot share images due to certain compulsions. I am trying to perform the 2nd option -  "Routing the same harness/cable assembly, multiple times to the terminal assembly".

I have tried performing the 2nd solution you've given that is - "2) Routing the same harness/cable assembly to a next higher level, but with different routings:  In order to do".

The first harness/cable assembly I import, places itself as I want it. However, no matter what name I give to the harness part by "saving a copy" and "reuse" part, the harness wire/cable falls back into the 1st position after regeneration (The connectors stay in the new position).

BrianMartin
11-Garnet

There are probably two options to do what you're trying to do. This is a common problem. You have one harness and need to see if installed in several different places with different routing (but the same length and, therefore, the same part number). If you assemble this same harness 3 times, you want a single item in the BOM with a quantity of 3. You don't want three separate assemblies. Is this right?

If so... you have a couple of options - neither very good but possible...

• There is a family table option in Creo Cabling. The purpose was to allow some variation to the routed harness all stored within the same 'family'. Each instance technically has a different name - but you can get around this. This isn't a great option.
  • For small-ish harnesses, you might be able to implement flexible components and/or flexible dimensions in your harness model. If you have two connectors placed via coordinate system, you can very the X, Y, and Z location (and rotation) of those connectors using flexible dimensioning. With careful harness routing and, perhaps, fixing the harness length to force a "finished length", you can use this technique to provide multiple versions of the same harness (same part number) that show as ONE item in the BOM.

I'm actually doing a presentation on this at PTC Liveworx 2017. It might be the only good thing about the presentation.

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags