cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creo on 32-bit with PAE memory blast to access 4g

bpenza
5-Regular Member

Creo on 32-bit with PAE memory blast to access 4g

Hoping someone has some experience with this.

I used PTC/Creo on a home computer (windows 7 32-bit 3g ram). (I also have it at school with 4g, 64-bit, no problems)

Realizing that Creo really requires a min of 4g to really use. (Especially on the assembly stuff, constraining in a video blanked world is no fun)

I decided to upgrade to 4g. Then I realize that windows 7 32-bit doesn't really do 4g. So I think about upgrading to 64-bit windows (which this desktop will accomodate). But then I see an option on-line to use the PAE memory add-on. I figure why not give it a try. I'd have to reformat everything for 64-bit install, so I've got nothing to lose.

So I install the PAE software fix, and I can see the 4g , I'm still in 32-bit and all windows system values show me that I'm okay for 4g.

However, in PTC/Creo , I still getting video phase outs when I try to assembly parts. Especially on constraining sections. I can work around it by rolling the mouse wheel and guessing a lot, but it sure would be nice if PTC/Creo could work in this PAE cluged world.

Anyone had experience with this? It seems that the PAE memory enhancer doesn't really do what it claims, at least not in Creo. Or is there a PTC/Creo setting that might resolve this?

I am sure that the PAE is installed properly and the computer is working fine in all other ways.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

-Brett

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Brett,

Use the following steps for 32-bit Windows 7:

1. Open a command prompt window as Administrator
  2. Enter the following command (requires administrative privileges - see 1.):

bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
bpenza
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

Thanks Martin,

It does seem to help. But I'm still getting some "washouts" in video when I do Assemblies with pretty simple parts. Not a show stopper, but it is sometimes hard to find the constraint feature when the video turns to white with line geometry popping up here and there.

Thanks for the help.

-Brett

Brett,

in case of graphics problems, it is recommended to add (temporarily) the following option at the end of config.pro file and test usual actions in ProE/Creo.

graphics win32_gdi

If problems disappear, then the problem is related to graphic card itself or to graphic drivers (you can try to install different version of drivers).

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
Top Tags