cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creo2.0 Files/Models Save Problem

rcardi
2-Guest

Creo2.0 Files/Models Save Problem

Good morning to all,

I'm the CAD Manager for a Mechanical Design Dept. of about 10 guys.

I'd like to explain problems the we observed about saveing of big assemblies (usually 1500 components).

Sometimes happens that, after hours of work on a project and lots of "Save" command, we close Creo and the next day we discover that lots of modification made the day before (or in the last session) are disappeared, lost, not present.....it seems that the user didn't save, but I'm sure that we save lots of time in a day!

I had this problem with Creo2.0 M040 but also now by using M060.

Does anybody have had the same problem?

Does anybody knows why?

Thank you all !!!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

What does your config.pro option save_objects say ?

Reinhard

edit

another useful option: prompt_on_exit yes

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:rcardi)

Welcome to the forum Roberto.

I am very OCD when it comes to saving. I don't trust the system and I know I should, but messages such as yours often have me wonder and I revert back to my over cautious save routing.

I take it you do not have Windchill... and all do all the guys have access to the same files on an ongoing basis? Are you using search path files to have Creo find the files of the assemblies? Do people use "backup" for saving large assemblies? Are people good about keeping local folders clean? Are all the search path files the same? ...

The purpose of the barrage of questions is not to overwhelm you in how the files are managed, but to simply ask if you and your guys have a handle on the files. I have worked with a fairly simple system that took some management to keep clean. For the most part, it remained fairly transparent where parts that "shouldn't" have changed don't and parts that did need to be saved were saved very consciously. Renames and Save-As operations were the most precarious so they were done offline and the affected files were moved into place later. A team of 5 worked this way very harmoniously, but we all had good training in understanding what was going on.

Add to this family table parts... and now you loose me. I've worked with them recently just to understand them and I find them to be the most unruly things in Creo. If these are what are causing the errors, it wouldn't surprise me and I would make the customer support tech's earn their money.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

This sounds like a case of shared files and he who saves last wins.

Creo will save anything it thinks you modified, depending on the config setting mentioned above. Changing the display status of your layers tags a part as modified, so that list could be much larger than you think in a 1500 part assembly.

With 10 of you working together with 1500 part databases and no PDM, you need some clear rules as to where to work, where to save, who owns what when and who gets to return things to the master database.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Hi guys,

thank you all !

Concerning your answers and question I need to clarify settings and our setup :

1) "save_objects" is set up to "changed_and_updated".

2) We work all connected to a library on a server shared folder BUT our config.pro is set up to avoid saving in library folders; each prt, asm, drw that is also minimally modified will be saved in working folder that is always in local C: unit of each workstation. No one can save in library.

Settings that allows this are :

override_store_back YES

save_object_in_current NO

3) "prompt_on_exit" is YES

Thaks,

regards.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

According to the definitions, the save_object_in_current NO may be the conflict if the object was called from a write protected folder.

This is pretty much how the vault works in SolidWorks but it has a little more intelligence in the interface.

You can test your assembly by doing a backup to a temp folder somewhere before shutting down. It seems you are making changes you are not aware of and your settings are dumping those files.

What I wouldn't give for a simple interface that told me what files have changed in session from what's on disk.

BillRyan
15-Moonstone

Two additional tips:

1) Look at the users trail file to get confirmation the assembly was saved.

2) In wildfire 5, I used the config setting for visable message lines set at 2. For some reason in Creo 2, this same setting only shows 1 line in the message area. I now have it set to "3" to show 2 message lines. I try to make users aware of the messages for the reason you mention to get confirmation of the save while working.

Top Tags