cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Custom Creo Manikin

Theo01
2-Guest

Custom Creo Manikin

My current library of Creo Manikins doesnt have any that meet the MIL-STD-1472G that I am looking for. Is there a way to create your own custom manikin? Basically I have a table with reach and lengths of different parts of the body and want to be able to input that into the program. 

5 REPLIES 5
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:Theo01)

'1472 is a based on a composite of human beings. It may not be possible to have a manikin with the same characteristics.

I understand that the standard wont represent a real person, however if I am doing a case study based on the 5th percentile women, is there a way to create a custom manikin to meet these dimensions?

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Sadly, it will take an enormous amount of effort to do so because '1472 isn't describing the geometry of people. It is describing what equipment and clothing makers need to know about people. What one needs to make a model is the distance between the joints that form the shoulders and hips and ankles (and so on) and then the size of the bone and muscle and fat and skin that covers those joints; this has been absorbed into composite descriptions.

PTC sells the Human Factors Analysis Extension which they based on some gathering of data and have models that use "H-ANIM standard: ISO/IEC 19774" compatible data structures. I am sure the module comes with a good selection of models and should read others which might be available via Siemens' "Jack" software (History of Jack - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_(human_modeling)

dnordin
15-Moonstone

Are you using the PTC manikin library? The library includes 5, 50, and 95% male & female manikins representing ~6 countries. Are none of these a good starting point for creating a custom manikin? Regards, Dan N.

I'm running into this as well.  The Creo Manikins have three serious problems that I'd like to fix...

1.) The legs and arms are not there; all you have is some baggy pants and a baggy shirt.  These can entirely cover up equipment that should fit the sizes of people the manikin is representing.

2.) While there are percentile manikins, the 7 'standard' humans that the US government bases things on are not there.  In particular, the wide shoulder male is not even close to being represented by any of the manikins.

3.) The Natick manikins are based on the old study from the 1970's that has been replaced by the 2012 study...so they are essentially junk.

So...I go to edit one of the parts (the left calf).  Creo 4 refuses to open it because it is a Manikin component.  I open the part in Creo 3.  I insert the accurate version of the left calf, hide the surface that was representing the left calf (because it can't be deleted), and save.  I reopen the manikin in Creo 4.  At this point the only thing changed is a hidden surface and an added body in a part.  It opens with the new left calf.  Then I try to apply a posture and Creo refuses because "Could not perform the operation because the manikin is not complete".  My company has multiple different manikin licenses but none of them let me edit a component.  None of them let me edit a manikin directly.  I can hide/show things, I can make changes to layers, I can even add additional parts...but I can't modify the parts that come with it.  As for that additional parts thing, it's not really ideal because whenever you change posture you need to do a regen...and in our assemblies that can take an hour easy.  The parts built into the manikin don't have that issue.

From everything I can tell, PTC locked down the manikins.  For some reason they don't want anyone making changes to them even if they bought every Manikin license offered.  This is only compounded by the fact that PTC won't make good (or at least up to date) manikins.  I've been fighting with this for the last week...I have all the licenses offered, I even have 3 different versions of Creo installed so I can get around some of the locks.  Yet still, even if I get around the locks on part modification, the program just refuses to move the manikin with those modified parts.

It's starting to feel like the Creo way...it seems like every new feature is either something that everyone else had 10 years ago or it's something that looks really useful until you actually buy it and find out that PTC has blocked you from using it in a useful way for no reason.  I'm about ready to just make manikins using simp-reps and consider the whole manikin add-on to be snake oil.

Top Tags