cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Cut out in assembly without modifying the parts

F2004
3-Visitor

Cut out in assembly without modifying the parts

Good morning,

I need a suggestion about how to proceed with some assemblies. We use Creo 2.0.

I have an assembly where I have at least two parts (part_1 and part_2) interpenetreting each other: it is a mistake, a choice made by the original draftman to save time that causes a lot of problems with hatching on the drawing.

I'd like to perform a boolean operation in the assembly removing the exceeding volume from part_1 using part_2 (see the attachment: the volume with the green outline inside the parallelepiped must be removed) but, and here's the trick, I don't want to bring any modification to the parts themselves: I'd like to keep the parts unmodified. Why? Because they are standard parts and they are released in PDMLink and the process of reviewing them is time consuming.

As you can see in the picture, there is a "cut out" feature in the model tree of part_1 (result of a component operation) but this means that this part has been modified.

I don't know If I explained correctly my problem: the only way I see at the moment is to create some "extrude" ore "revolve" feature in the assembly to remove the material without propagating the modification to the parts.

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Have a nice day.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:F2004)

Make the part that needs to be modified Flexible and modify the dimension in the assembly.

With flexibility, you can change part dimensions within the assembly that don't actually change the part.

You could also do this with an assembly but, by default, the parts are not changed when assembly cut is done in an assembly.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

When you make an assembly cut, you can choose which parts the cuts remove material from, and it does not affect the part at the part level.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

If you fix this on the drawing, won't that mislead the guys who are assembling the parts for real?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dschenken)

Get a bigger hammer!

jhaston-3
10-Marble

If it's a mistake, the only solution is to fix it, permanently.

That means modifying the erroneous part(s).

Top Tags