cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Deformed scaling factor remains in memory in the next non-scaled deformed display

tleati
10-Marble

Deformed scaling factor remains in memory in the next non-scaled deformed display

Hello,

I have just realized what seems to apparently be a bug in the Creo Simulate structural results visualization.

It regards the deformed state option one might want to tick in the Results Window Definition --> Display Options.

The problem is that if I set a scaling factor of, just to say one, 10 %, click Ok and Show and then I come back to remove the tick from the scaling factor and press Ok and Show, the model viewed is still deformed with the scaling factor of before (10 %) (and seems to be even more deformed!), so as to not allow me to view the real deformation.

Here below is a video of me reproducing the problem: (I specify for scale factor that the analysis does not have contacts).

Just to give an idea, the maximum downwards displacement of the tip of this cylinder (maximum of the entire model) is about 9 mm (measured in the analysis) and the cylinder is Ø 20 mm large.

Video Link : 6253

Anyone has ever encountered the same issue and if yes, what is it due to (and maybe how to overcome it)?

thanks

bye bye

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:tleati)

Hello Tommaso, when you remove the checkmark, 10 % (= 0.1) becomes 10, so one should expect it to be much stronger deformed than before.

But I always find it more surprising that 10% is scaling so much - so maybe it's 10% of model size rather than 10% of the actual deformation?

If you want to see the real deformation, I'd expect a factor of 1 (instead of 10) and % not checked to be appropriate.

tleati
10-Marble
(To:gkoch)

Hallo Gunter,

thanks for your reply, indeed it seems to be clearer to me the trick behind, if you remove the tick you can still set the scaling factor but this time intended as fraction of the real displacement (and not as percentage of the maximum model dimension), so 1 is "1 time the real deformation"...if I want for example 50 % of the real deformation I have to put 0.5 and untick...

bye bye

Tommaso

gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:tleati)

yes, there are two checkboxes in the dialog:

• The checkbox to scale or not scale is further up.
  • The one below is to scale by % of modelsize or by actual factor.
tleati
10-Marble
(To:gkoch)

Hi Gunter,

no, I don't have two checkboxes and that is the fact that made some confusion to me: as you can see from the screenshot enclosed, I have only the checkbox of scale/not scale and then the box for the value beside:

checkbox.PNG

bye

Hi Tommaso,

Look at the scaling factor displayed in the results window itself.  In the first case (10%), it's 4.7315.  In the second, it's 10.00, exactly as you told it to do.

Gunter is correct: 10% means "make the maximum deformation 10% of the 'model size'."  In this case it scales it to be (9 × 4.73 = ) about 42.6, so the 'model size' (bounding box diagonal) must be about 426.

We've already had a similar discussion!

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Analysis/Structural-results-evaluation-deformed-display-scaling/td-p/74939

Hi Jonathan,

thanks indeed I knew about my old discussion on the mathematical meaning of the scale factor, but I hadn't caught the fact that without the tick the number you set in the box is considered as scale factor (not percentage but fraction) of the real deformation. I was convinced that the only possibility was to set a percentage of the maximum model size and that unticking directly goes to real def.

Anyway it's a bit tricky as when you add the % tick the software switches (without noticing) the reference of the scaling from the real def. to the model size (in perfect creo style! ).

bye bye

Top Tags