cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Drawing Common Name

jtynan
1-Newbie

Drawing Common Name

Is there anyway to automatically set the Creo parametric common name of a drawing to the same as the common name for the linked Creo part / assembly?

I want to have the common name field automatically copied from the part to the drawing for use in Windchill.

Thanks,

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:jtynan)

Yes, there is and it is seldom used:

Drawing relations can be added under Tools > Drawing Program in Creo, but this is a very old functionality (unchanged for almost 20 years) with a display window and line editing by menu manager commands.

Gunter

P.S. It is probably a philosophical question, whether it is used so rarely because it has never been updated or whether it has never been updated because it is used so rarely.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gkoch
1-Newbie

John, are you referring to creation or rename (as the picture shows)?

For the initial creation R&D has confirmed that there is no functionality to do it.

I found this, because there has been an interesting idea from a customer, using a drawing relation:

PTC_COMMON_NAME:D=PTC_COMMON_NAME:0.

However, of course it worked only for the first part in session, as the ":0" is a session ID.

In this context R&D confirmed that there is no alternate method available.

As for rename, I see no way to do it either.

jtynan
1-Newbie
(To:gkoch)

Thanks for reply Gunter,

Unfortunately this relation is not being accepted in my drawing but listing errors instead.Error+Relations.PNG

It appears to be referring to the part relations, is there a seperate area for drawing relations.

Thanks,

John

gkoch
1-Newbie

Yes, there is and it is seldom used:

Drawing relations can be added under Tools > Drawing Program in Creo, but this is a very old functionality (unchanged for almost 20 years) with a display window and line editing by menu manager commands.

Gunter

P.S. It is probably a philosophical question, whether it is used so rarely because it has never been updated or whether it has never been updated because it is used so rarely.

jtynan
1-Newbie
(To:gkoch)

Gunter,

That is a nice solution but unfortunately it only works for the initial session but it might be enough to get me out for new parts and then modify manually afterwards.

Thanks,

John

Top Tags