cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Entering relations to add diameter symbol before the dimension in parameters

bmclees
5-Regular Member

Entering relations to add diameter symbol before the dimension in parameters

Is there a way to add a diameter symbol to relations that pull dimensions from the part to fill the parameters?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:bmclees)

The diameter symbol may look OK on a drawing, but if you designate that information to Windchill, it will come in as some character but not a diameter symbol.

For my description of a washer, I use 1/4, SAE, (.281 X .625 X .065).

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

I use a diameter symbol in my dowel model to "build" the description from the dimensions. I got the character by creating a note in a drawing and adding the symbol, then copying and pasting that symbol into my relations in the part. It's worked for me fine, but I'd definitely take Ben's concerns into consideration if you're using Windchill.

When I tried to copy and paste the relation I use to start the description, the diameter symbol was instead rendered as some weird nonvisible characters and the letter "n". But, there is another possible trick that I've used for other things, like superscript "2" or "3" in area and volume units. I open an empty document in Word and paste in the symbol for the thing I want. For a diameter symbol, you might be able to use "Latin Capital Letter O with Stroke" which looks like this:

"DOWEL Ø"
bmclees
5-Regular Member
(To:KenFarley)

What I am looking for is how to get text before a dimension in the tools relations dialog box to populate the parameters. 

In the tools relations box a statement HE=d0 will populate a dimension for the part in parameters.  Is there away to have text before the dimension, in this case d0, in the relation statement without getting an error message.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Parameters are not dimensions.

Parameters that are assigned values in relations are like variables in any strictly typed language. If a parameter, say "HE", is intended to represent a real number, it doesn't have any text component. So, in short, you can't do what you want to do, as far as I know, with relations.

Like this?

HE = "Any text you want " + ITOS(d0)

If you are using real numbers, you should also check these topics:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Detailing-MBD-MBE/How-To-Format-a-real-number-relation-in-a-note/td-p/139185

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Simulation/Converting-Real-Numbers-to-Strings/m-p/189624

bmclees
5-Regular Member
(To:HamsterNL)

Thank you.  That accomplished what I needed.

Top Tags