cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Explode State Errors

swschultz
1-Newbie

Explode State Errors

Folks,

This one has me stumped. I have a fairly large family tabled assembly in which I have created a series of explode states. The explode states represent different steps in the assembly process (please don't ask why I'm not using Pro/Process for Assemblies). There are only six instances in the family table, though there are many columns in the table itself. My procedure for creating the appropriate set of explode states (assembly steps) for each instance is to open up the instance, and create the necessary explode states for that particular instance. These explode states of course get populated back into the main view manager back in the generic. No problem so far.

Here comes part of the issue - I am now working on the last instance and its explode states. I createan explode state (with a specific new name) and I go and explode certain components. When I finish the explode state definition, I attempt to "SAVE" the expldoe state as is required, but as soon as I pick the "LIST" button at the bottom of the view manager, it switches back to show me all of the explode states like it should, but at the same time it hasmade the "DEFAULT EXPLODE" state the current state, and shows that it has been modified (with a "+" symbol). This means that the explode state that I just created (or modified) is no longer the current explode state, and therefore if I right-click on it to save it, the SAVE command is greyed out. If I make the new explode state the current state again, it has not retained any of the explode definitions I created, it is back to how it began.

So that's one part of the problem. I also have the problem that if I right-click on this new explode state to delete it, I pick REMOVE, but it does nothing, the explode state is still there! It does not matter if I do this in the instance or in the generic, I cannot remove the explode state.

To complicate things further, I can create an explode state in an instance, save the instance, save the generic, exit Pro/E, and start Pro/E again. When I check the View Manager in the generic, sure enough - it shows the explode state that I just created a few minutes ago in an instance. When I open the instance and then look at the View Manager, that same explode state does not display! If I attempt to create another explode state with the same name in the instance, Pro/E of course tells me that the explode state already exists. In some cases I can go back to the generic and delete the explode state, and then re-create it back in the instance, but once the assembly is saved, erased, and brought back into memory, the explode state is no longer available in the instance again!

I posted another message on the CAD forum a few minutes ago with the title "Improper Assembling Encountered error message" regarding the samefamily tabled assembly.I don't know if somehow these two problems are related, but I am thinking that there may be some sort of connection. I am actually thinking that there may be some sort of corruption in the assembly file itself.If you have any insight as to what may be causing these issue please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Scott W. Schultz
Principal Consultant
3D Relief Inc.
3700 Willow Creek Drive
Raleigh, NC 27604
(919)259-0610
<u>-</u>

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

The explode state problem has been rectified.

The issue was that the instance accelerator file (.xas) for one of my instances on the hard drive was corrupted. As soon as I deleted it and let Pro/E create a new one, explode states started workingproperly again. This fix also solved the other problem I had posted about regarding the "Improper Assembling Encountered" error message whichkept appearing for no reason.

Scott

Top Tags